Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 heritage with 5900 miles wont start been setting 2 yrs

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 PM
tntalways
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 heritage with 5900 miles wont start been setting 2 yrs

I recently purchased 05 heritage with 5900 miles on it. Put new battery in, old one completely dead. Addressed fuel issues, drained tank put new fuel in.
Now bike turns over but want start.
Checked fuses relays etc, all checked good, while checking fire to plugs and from coil to wires I have to get contact close to grounding before I see spark, it is blue however.
checked for fuel pump sound, when I cut switch to on position I hear a very faint noise, so not sure if pump totally bad or just gummed up.

Thinking about pulling tank flushing entire system cleaning pump and putting new plugs in. Is there a theft deterrent system on this year like on the 07 and up bikes?
I do not have manuals as of yet would really like to download some that way I can have them on my electronic devices.
open to experienced suggestions.
Many Thanks ahead of time
Tntalways

Old 05-25-2015, 08:36 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Make sure TSM is OK. Does it have security system?

Old 05-26-2015, 03:59 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Have you done a compression test?

The alarm module is above the rear tire splash guard. Probably needs a new rechargeable 9v battery.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tntalways
I recently purchased 05 heritage with 5900 miles on it. Put new battery in, old one completely dead. Addressed fuel issues, drained tank put new fuel in.
Now bike turns over but want start.
Checked fuses relays etc, all checked good, while checking fire to plugs and from coil to wires I have to get contact close to grounding before I see spark, it is blue however.
checked for fuel pump sound, when I cut switch to on position I hear a very faint noise, so not sure if pump totally bad or just gummed up.
The fuel pump sound is normally loud enough to hear a few feet from the bike.

Thinking about pulling tank flushing entire system cleaning pump and putting new plugs in. Is there a theft deterrent system on this year like on the 07 and up bikes?
I do not have manuals as of yet would really like to download some that way I can have them on my electronic devices.
open to experienced suggestions.
Many Thanks ahead of time
Tntalways
I believe that the security system was an option for your model, so need to pull the tire splash guard and check the numbers on the the TSM, TSSM or HFSM

The Hands Free Security Module requires the button-less FOB - did you get any key FOB's?

If it does have a security system, you could go through the "Password Learn" procedure and that will allow it to run, and then later get new FOB's and have HD marry those to the HFSM/TSSM.

The Smart Siren is an additional option to the security system and it contains a small 9v rechargeable battery, but it would not prevent it from starting.

Illicit electronic copies of the manual can be found, but I believe this forum Admin frowns on links to such being posted here - best you go to HD for this.

Last edited by 1004ron; 05-28-2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:20 PM
tntalways
Stage III
Default thanks

Thanks for the reply will definitely ck the suggested tips.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:09 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,348 Likes on 2,200 Posts
Default 1 last question

The bike sat, why? Did it go to slumber broken?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 PM
tntalways
Stage III
Default prior owner

Prior owner had let it set due to health reasons she had.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

If you are getting spark, that means the ignition is on and your problem is not the security system. More than likely gummed up fuel system. Try a shot of starting fluid in the intake. If it fires that will rule out electrical.

Dan

Old 05-28-2015, 11:54 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
The fuel pump sound is normally loud enough to hear a few feet from the bike.
I believe that the security system was an option for your model, so need to pull the tire splash guard and check the numbers on the the TSM, TSSM or HFSM

The Hands Free Security Module requires the button-less FOB - did you get any key FOB's?

If it does have a security system, you could go through the "Password Learn" procedure and that will allow it to run, and then later get new FOB's and have HD marry those to the HFSM/TSSM.

The Smart Siren is an additional option to the security system and it contains a small 9v rechargeable battery, but it would not prevent it from starting.

Illicit electronic copies of the manual can be found, but I believe this forum Admin frowns on links to such being posted here - best you go to HD for this.
2005 security system didn't have a hands free option....just a fob with a button to long press to arm and disarm. If it was holding up the startup, wouldn't the lights be flashing? On my old dyna, if I attempted to turn over the bike with security on, blinkers would flash.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Was the bike stored with some kind of fuel stabilizer? Gummed up filter? Clogged injectors?