Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All New Fluids...First Time...My Notes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default All New Fluids...First Time...My Notes!

So I did the first service today and changed all three fluids on my '15 Slim. Just sharing results...

Engine oil...Only took 2.5 quarts with the filter change. I did it hot and literally started draining the oil within a minute or two of shutting off the engine based on the assumption that some oil eventually makes its way back into the engine from the tank as it sits and cools off. Wanted to drain as much as possible. 2.5 quarts (after a ride and fully warmed up) put it right back at the full mark but not a touch over. This seems like a low quantity to me as I was hoping it'd take the solid three quarts, but I guess there's still a 1/2 quart in the pan somewhere. Just seems like the oil quantity would be bigger on this motor. More oil would run cooler, etc. I had other bikes with dry clutch (nothing in the oil but the engine) that held a solid four quarts. Oh well!

Tranny....no brainer. 28 oz's put it right back to the full mark where it was. Nothing else to add.

Primary...I put the bike on a level stand and removed the cover to see where the factory level was. It was 1/8" or better below the diaphragm that everyone talks about. Added the recommended 32 oz's, and it was actually a bit lower. It took 36 oz's to get it back to that level, so that's what I added. Also, more oil came out of the drain with the bike level than on the sidestand.

Oil Filer...I initially planned on going with an Amsoil EaOM134 filter, but when comparing it side by side with an HD filter, the HD one looked much better. The internals just appeared to be constructed better, but the deal sealer for me was in the access holes. The HD filter has 8 (I think) access holes and the Amsoil filter only has 6 and the Amsoil holes are a mm or two smaller than the HD filter. So...sticking with the HD filter.

All in all, pretty straight forward job...no rocket science here. Made for a great day!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:16 PM
07 chopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing. What fluids did you used?

Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Well done!

Did you adjust the clutch while you were in the Primary?

There is also oil left in the cam chest, pump and various inlet holes that does not drain out.

When I do mine, the bike sits on a scissor jack, level throughout the whole process. Before I pull the filter, I punch a couple of holes in the end of it to let the oil drain out before removing it.

The new Fat Boy Lo gets its first service this weekend. I am pulling the Primary apart to add an SE HD pressure plate and a Variable HD Clutch spring.

The only thing I have never done is adjust the steering head braring fall out. It calls for it on the first service.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:12 AM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 07 chopper
Thanks for sharing. What fluids did you used?

Amsoil 20W50
Amsoil Sever Gear 75W110
Amsoil Super Shift ATF

Originally Posted by Gommee

The only thing I have never done is adjust the steering head braring fall out. It calls for it on the first service.

I did not...didn't know about a clutch adjustment...do tell? I also read up on the whole fall out thing for the steering head and seems it's tedious at best with less than stellar results. I did grease up the steering head though, and pumped new grease through until it squeezed out.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:32 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Burning a full quart of oil during the break-in process is far from normal.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:54 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Dealer changes my Deluxe's oil while under warrantee, but I did my maintenance on my old fxdl and my sons current fatboy. 2.5 to 3qts for the engine. There is still a lot left in there after you drain. Your fine. Just check it after a couple of rides to be sure.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:58 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gommee
Well done!

First, OP thanks for sharing this as my first service is coming this week.

So now lets hear about this clutch adjustment....

Old 05-27-2015, 07:19 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 05-27-2015, 07:34 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

thanks for posting this.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy or make an oil scavenger and do a complete 100% clean oil change every time you do a service on it. YES, I know how its been done for ions but I wont mix new oil with old oil.

Quick Reply: All New Fluids...First Time...My Notes!