Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Samson True Duals w/Baffles (S2-431) Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM
saibaba
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Samson True Duals w/Baffles (S2-431) Tuning

So I've got a 2010 FLSTN with Samson True Duals w/baffles (Model S2-431) and it's feeling a little doggy these days especially in the lower rpms. Stock air filter setup so the only thing is the exhaust right now and currently no backfiring or anything like that.

My question is, what is my next step? Should I go to a free flowing air filter or should I just skip that and think about modifying the stock ECM? If I want to modify the ECM what brand/model are you guys using with your baffled Samsons. And what did it cost you?

Old 05-28-2015, 11:32 AM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Your next step should be both. Get a Stage 1 AC and a tuner. Check fuelmoto as they have good deals on both as a package and provide unlimited maps with great customer service.

For AC, its all about looks as you wont notice the power differences between any of them. For the tuners, there are two types, a piggyback fuel tuner which stays on your bike, and a ECM flash tuner which doesnt have to stay on your bike.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
saibaba
Advanced

Thanks! Okay so this is what I'm thinking...

Stage 1 Air Cleaner
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...18-2977302c--1

Air Cleaner Cover
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-cleaner-cover

As for the tuner, what are the advantages of having something always connected to your bike, vs flashing the module? There really isn't much space under the seat in a softail to have a module sitting there, I think? And really, how often will you find yourself remapping??

Old 05-29-2015, 11:39 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer

That's the cover I have on my FLSTN 2012, also running samson duals but the 33", but I'm running a woods 222 cam. Got it Dyno tuned and lost horse power compared to stock but picked up a good amount of torque. I am at 69hp and 96ft/lbs torque. The tuner said the true duals sap a good amount of hp, don't recall why but it does. I think I got a half assed tune though since they forgot how to use the power vision and spent most of the time trying to use it as a piggy back system, once I explained how to do it they only got an hour on the Dyno with it. It pulls super strong until about 100mph and I don't run over 85 anyways so I'm cool with it.

As for piggy back vs flash, I liked the flash idea because then I can't take the tuner off and store it off the bike saving a little room on the bike. The powervision is sweet I dont know if there is newer or better systems out since its been 3 years since I really paid attention to it but I really like the features of mine.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:56 AM
saibaba
Advanced

Thanks for that information on the Powervision. I've also heard that the duals actually zap a good amount of oomph but I just had to go for that look. I'm not looking to haul *** really on my deluxe, but I would like it to run a little better than it is now. I'm planning on the air mods I posted earlier and probably am going to go with the Micro EFI Tuner from Fuel Moto. It's a piggy back system but the module is tiny enough to where I can probably mount it underneath the seat. Any input on this item?

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/series-19...efi-tuner.html

Old 06-01-2015, 06:00 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by saibaba
Thanks!

As for the tuner, what are the advantages of having something always connected to your bike, vs flashing the module? There really isn't much space under the seat in a softail to have a module sitting there, I think? And really, how often will you find yourself remapping??
FuelMoto's Micro tuner is a Dynojet based system and fits perfectly inside the battery box. It's snug so no rattle and is a nice unite for the money.
You can bypass the o2 sensors by removing them and plugging the holes up with bungs for a cleaner look.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:58 AM
saibaba
Advanced

Thanks guys, looks like my setup is all clearly identified now!