Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to modify Deluxe rear signals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Possible to modify Deluxe rear signals?

Is it possible to remove the socket and reflector from a bullet turn signal? (They are sold as a unit).

Has anyone figured out how to exchange the turn signal socket/ reflector base in a Deluxe light bar? Might be possible, there is a rubber gasket that may be holding the "works" together. (I did not want to try and force it).

Factory Deluxe has the 2 wire, single filament bulb fitted. So no running/ brake light in the Deluxe tail light bar. You get turn signal or no light.

I was wondering if its possible to disassemble and exchange the internal reflector and bulb base for a double filament bulb base (1157 bulb) from a bullet signal like the Slim has. (Similar bullet shape tail / brake light).

I understand an extra wire would have to be added.
I have the extra signal parts rather than add one of those "electronic modules".

Thanks, Steve

Old 05-30-2015, 01:08 PM
bbs15
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a Kuryakyn Part # 4858. It's a module that plugs in under the seat.with it you have turn/running/and brake with all the back lights. Simple install. I'm not sure if Kuryakyn still uses that part number,it might have changed,but I'm sure they still have this module. Hope this helps.

PS: I used this in a 2006 Deluxe.

The new Kuryakyn part number might be #5497.

Last edited by bbs15; 05-30-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:13 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I have used the HD brake/turn signal module on all my bikes. Real easy and works well. U may want to try that first. Also, pretty cheap from a 20% discount dealer.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:25 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Yes...

Old 05-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfever
Is it possible to remove the socket and reflector from a bullet turn signal? (They are sold as a unit).

Has anyone figured out how to exchange the turn signal socket/ reflector base in a Deluxe light bar? Might be possible, there is a rubber gasket that may be holding the "works" together. (I did not want to try and force it).

Factory Deluxe has the 2 wire, single filament bulb fitted. So no running/ brake light in the Deluxe tail light bar. You get turn signal or no light.

I was wondering if its possible to disassemble and exchange the internal reflector and bulb base for a double filament bulb base (1157 bulb) from a bullet signal like the Slim has. (Similar bullet shape tail / brake light).

I understand an extra wire would have to be added.
I have the extra signal parts rather than add one of those "electronic modules".

Thanks, Steve
Yea thy just pop out, I use a small screw driver. Only thing holding them in is the rubber.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:40 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,796 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by cocky
I have used the HD brake/turn signal module on all my bikes. Real easy and works well. U may want to try that first. Also, pretty cheap from a 20% discount dealer.
^^^^^^
This. I have them on both bikes using red LED bulbs.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cocky
I wasn't aware that HD made a module that allowed the rear turn signals to be used this way? can you describe further what it is, and how it's installed? Thanks much!

Old 05-30-2015, 11:15 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaresz
I wasn't aware that HD made a module that allowed the rear turn signals to be used this way? can you describe further what it is, and how it's installed? Thanks much!
There are several modules out there that do this. I have one from Custom Dynamics. They are called run/brake/turn modules.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:11 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default This!!!

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Yea thy just pop out, I use a small screw driver. Only thing holding them in is the rubber.
Thanks, HarleyCruiser!

This is EXACTLY what I need to know.

Steve

P.S. The 2013 bike I'm working on is wired from the factory for run brake turn, no module is needed.
Nothing wrong with a module if you have space under your seat and $$, and no concern about one more electronic aftermarket part that could fail.

Since the rear fender is off the bike, adding "running light" wires will be very easy.

Last edited by Jetfever; 05-31-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:57 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfever
Thanks, HarleyCruiser!

This is EXACTLY what I need to know.

Steve

P.S. The 2013 bike I'm working on is wired from the factory for run brake turn, no module is needed.
Nothing wrong with a module if you have space under your seat and $$, and no concern about one more electronic aftermarket part that could fail.

Since the rear fender is off the bike, adding "running light" wires will be very easy.
NP, that is how I did my 01, I used fronts on the rear, they are two filament.
I refused to pay Harley the sixty bucks for that stupid $3 dollar module that should have come with the bike in the first place.

Quick Reply: Possible to modify Deluxe rear signals?