Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lollipop for drag pipes myth - Confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 10:07 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
Do these things add anything to (for example) V&H Big shots? If so, why haven't V&H already added them given the tiny cost? *confused*
Not sure if you're asking about lollipops in general, or the TTI's. As Joe noted below, if you have baffles in the pipes, there is very little to no gain in putting a traditional lollipop in also.

However, with our patented (which V&H can't use) TTI, every single bike that has V&H pipes on them will see a 5-15% increase in low and mid range torque if the TTI's are added, whether they have the baffle or not.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
They aren't necessary if you have baffles in. Baffles or lollipops break up the sound waves - it's the sound waves which prevent proper scavenging of exhaust gasses at certain RPM's (right at highways speeds) as demonstrated in the video.
Even though the sound waves are broken up, there are still varying degrees of reversion that rob low & mid range power. TTI's are better at stopping that reversion, while NOT creating power robbing back pressure, than any other design available.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-23-2015, 10:38 PM
dusty2221
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

So would a guy wanna add these tti's to a set of 39" cholo fishtails on an 03 carbed softail that was tuned with v&h big radius pipes on it? I'm replacing my BR pipes this week and would hate to notice a power drop

Old 06-24-2015, 05:19 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

If your cholos have no baffles, like mine, then yes you should install the thumb screws or perhaps the torque tubes DK offers.

If you have baffles then you don't need thumb screws. Maybe you want the torque tubes you can chat with DK about those.

It's the open pipes that have the reversion problem like you see in the dyno sheet in the first post.

Last edited by Joe_G; 06-24-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:45 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by dusty2221
So would a guy wanna add these tti's to a set of 39" cholo fishtails on an 03 carbed softail that was tuned with v&h big radius pipes on it? I'm replacing my BR pipes this week and would hate to notice a power drop
Yeah, I have some fishtails on my personal softail. Got a nice bump in the power with the TTI's added to them.

Below are a couple of charts for the Softail that is in the video in post #8 above.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:07 AM
dusty2221
Road Master

Good deal, looks like I will be needing to order a pair of the W158 since the Samsons are a 2 1/4 pipe. Hopefully I will be installing tonight.

Is there a forum member discount?

Old 06-25-2015, 11:06 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Kevin, how would these compare to something like Big City Thunder's product? That make a stepped down section of pipe. There must be something in the way that the exhaust pulses react to the step down section compared to the lollipop shaped restriction. Not looking for you to bash someone else's product, just trying to understand how the exhaust pulses react to the different approaches of restriction, that's basically what is going on right? Adding some restriction without creating turbulence.

I have a set of VH Big Shot Staggered on my softail, when I look in the end of the pipe there doesn't seem to be much left of the original baffles, they're a little over 3 years old and I've been considering trying some sort of baffle in them for torque, I do love the sound I have now so I wouldn't want that to change much.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:05 PM
dusty2221
Road Master

I listened to the clips but still want to confirm before ordering. I dont want to lose the unbaffled straight pipe sound, I hate the baffle sound. Whats the verdict, will the tti "baffle me"?

Old 06-26-2015, 01:50 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Good deal, looks like I will be needing to order a pair of the W158 since the Samsons are a 2 1/4 pipe. Hopefully I will be installing tonight.

Is there a forum member discount?
We periodically run Specials. You can see the current one HERE.

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Kevin, how would these compare to something like Big City Thunder's product? That make a stepped down section of pipe. There must be something in the way that the exhaust pulses react to the step down section compared to the lollipop shaped restriction. Not looking for you to bash someone else's product, just trying to understand how the exhaust pulses react to the different approaches of restriction, that's basically what is going on right? Adding some restriction without creating turbulence.

I have a set of VH Big Shot Staggered on my softail, when I look in the end of the pipe there doesn't seem to be much left of the original baffles, they're a little over 3 years old and I've been considering trying some sort of baffle in them for torque, I do love the sound I have now so I wouldn't want that to change much.
We have dyno'd the TTI's in Big Shots and Short Shots. They do better than any other method...including many variations of lollipops, BCT's and baffles.

The simple reason is that they stop almost all reversion without creating significant power robbing back-pressure. Back pressure fights against the engine producing power, but until the "W" version of the TTI's there was no way anyone was stopping reversion (including any of the stepped systems) without creating power robbing restriction.

The "Cup" on the outside of the TTI stops the energy pulse from traveling back up the pipe when it reverses direction. The opposite side of the cup is rounded, and the wavy part of it speeds up the exhaust gasses without producing significant restriction (back-pressure).

The TTI approaches the challenge of reversion completely differently...and fortunately, more efficiently, by reducing reversion without as much increase in restriction as other strategies.

I listened to the clips but still want to confirm before ordering. I dont want to lose the unbaffled straight pipe sound, I hate the baffle sound. Whats the verdict, will the tti "baffle me"?
It will be just a little bit deeper, and 1-2 decibels quieter. Human ear cannot really tell the difference between, say 105 and 103 decibels, but most can hear that it is a bit deeper tone.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:37 AM
dusty2221
Road Master

I just placed an order for the W158. Very curious to see how they work.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:15 AM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe this works.!!!! I proceeded to install these thumb screws just for ***** and giggles. Yes my bike popped bad (notice past tense). So I gave it a shot. My bike no longer pops and I have to say I noticed a change in how the bike is preforming. I took it out after installing and said wow it seems peppier. I noticed at which rpm range. Now when I watched the vid and looked at the Dyno chart I didn't pay attention to the graphs rpm ranges. When I got to my buddies House. I showed him this video. we look at the dyno chart. I said holy **** I didn't notice the charts rpm range. It's the same rpm were I noticed the difference in my bike. 2500-3500 rpm.
Well we then installed them in my buddies bike 103 big radius and he always said he's bike was a dog. Sure as **** he says it not feels like he could break the rear tire loose. His bike still pops but not as aggressive.
My bike now accelerates 65 or so to 80 effortlessly. And also in those 2500-3500 RPM ranges inevery other

Last edited by 97 dyna lowrider; 06-26-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Lollipop for drag pipes myth - Confirmed