Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lollipop for drag pipes myth - Confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 97 dyna lowrider
I can't believe this works.!!!! I proceeded to install these thumb screws just for ***** and giggles. Yes my bike popped bad (notice past tense). So I gave it a shot. My bike no longer pops and I have to say I noticed a change in how the bike is preforming. I took it out after installing and said wow it seems peppier. I noticed at which rpm range. Now when I watched the vid and looked at the Dyno chart I didn't pay attention to the graphs rpm ranges. When I got to my buddies House. I showed him this video. we look at the dyno chart. I said holy **** I didn't notice the charts rpm range. It's the same rpm were I noticed the difference in my bike. 2500-3500 rpm.
Well we then installed them in my buddies bike 103 big radius and he always said he's bike was a dog. Sure as **** he says it not feels like he could break the rear tire loose. His bike still pops but not as aggressive.
My bike now accelerates 65 or so to 80 effortlessly. And also in those 2500-3500 RPM ranges inevery other
You and your buddy's experience echoes mine... as I said I would have lost money on a bet that this works, but it's amazing, it works doesn't it!

Best $1.18 I've ever spend on a mod without question!

And I'm glad you guys gave it a try and had similar great results. That's exactly why I posted this so others could experience this low cost but highly productive mod.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dusty2221
I just placed an order for the W158. Very curious to see how they work.
So am I. Any chance you could go to a dyno and do your install to see before and after?

The dyno graph above echoes my butt dyno that I got back 15 of the 20 ft lbs of torque lost by installing straight pipes.

I'm wondering if the $70 option would restore the other 5 ft lbs that the $1.18 thumb screw mod does not.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:37 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

The most informative and accurate part of that whole video is at about 4:36.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:42 AM
dusty2221
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
So am I. Any chance you could go to a dyno and do your install to see before and after?

The dyno graph above echoes my butt dyno that I got back 15 of the 20 ft lbs of torque lost by installing straight pipes.

I'm wondering if the $70 option would restore the other 5 ft lbs that the $1.18 thumb screw mod does not.
Unfortunately I wont be able to anytime soon. If I am able to in the near future I will have them dyno with and without though. I'll go by the seat of the pants dyno for a bit I guess! The TTI were only $30 shipped from DK, hope its worth it.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:46 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dusty2221
Unfortunately I wont be able to anytime soon. If I am able to in the near future I will have them dyno with and without though. I'll go by the seat of the pants dyno for a bit I guess! The TTI were only $30 shipped from DK, hope its worth it.
Oh $30 isn't bad. For some reason I thought they were $70. I must have looked at the wrong thing.

Well please do post up your results. I could see how a venturi and something designed to cure the issue might do a better job than a thumbscrew and I might be interested in upgrading at that price.

Heck you might invest $1.18 and compare to the thumbscrews and then we'd have some good info to work with!

p.s. your bike looks awesome. Love the old school color scheme and the apes look great.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:51 AM
LowRider68
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kevin,

I bought the wavy for my Softail Deluxe a couple weeks ago and haven't had the time to install them. I know you guys say 6" from the rear of the pipe. But, I have 42" Cholo's and if I installed them 6" from the end, I would see the ugly bolt. I'm thinking of installing them where the bracket is so the bolt and nut is hidden. Would this be a problem? Why do you recommend 6" from the end of the pipe?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:40 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
We have dyno'd the TTI's in Big Shots and Short Shots. They do better than any other method...including many variations of lollipops, BCT's and baffles.
Thanks for you response.

I'm ready to give them a try. What part number do you recommend for the Big Shot Staggered?

Old 06-27-2015, 08:18 PM
RomperStomper
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have V&H Short Shots and didn't like the way they sounded so I removed the baffles and installed some lollipops. I used the same hole in the pipe that bolts to the baffles. They def sound better without baffles and they also pop a lot less.Lollipop for drag pipes myth - Confirmed-lollipops.jpg

Lollipop for drag pipes myth - Confirmed-lollipops-installed.jpg

Old 06-28-2015, 01:54 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRider68
Kevin,

I bought the wavy for my Softail Deluxe a couple weeks ago and haven't had the time to install them. I know you guys say 6" from the rear of the pipe. But, I have 42" Cholo's and if I installed them 6" from the end, I would see the ugly bolt. I'm thinking of installing them where the bracket is so the bolt and nut is hidden. Would this be a problem? Why do you recommend 6" from the end of the pipe?
Best placement is as close to the end of the pipe as possible, the reason is that you don't want that energy pulse to reverse direction and start back up the pipe to the exhaust valve. I generally put mine in about 1-2" from the end of the pipe. With fishtails it's a bit different, you can see the stud protruding on mine in the pic below at about 4".

With that said, we've had Customers put them 6-12" from the end of the pipe and report that they experienced a good improvement in low & mid range torque.

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Thanks for you response.

I'm ready to give them a try. What part number do you recommend for the Big Shot Staggered?
With no baffles, the W158 ( DK-TTI-158 ).

With baffles, the W118 ( DK-TTI-118 ).

Here's a good LINK with more info on fitment.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Thanks again for your response, going to place my order here after breakfast, I'm thinking I should expect similar results as you did with your experiment on Project 48 with the VH Short Shots

I found this thread from the Sportster section where there is a lot of good Q&A and results from guys actually using the TTI's.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ts-review.html

Quick Reply: Lollipop for drag pipes myth - Confirmed