Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mids are coming boys

Old 06-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mids are coming boys

Well, after 5 months of concidering it and spending the last two weeks doing some serious researching I bit the bullet.

Just ordered the Exile Cycles mid mounts for softails and his rear brake set up for when I put the mids on my rocker I can completely remove the foward controls.

I already have the dyna mid mount brackets and an inner and outer dyna primary cover with the opening for mids sitting in the garage. Just need the dyna foot brake pedal and the dyna shift linkage mechanism (gonna have to order that from the stealer).

I went back and forth for 4 months (while I was doing the clip on project) tying to decide wether to do it or not.

What put me over the edge you ask? a few things.

1- I want to keep my clip ons for a while longer before I switch to my BR apes towards the end of the season. And having my legs closer to me and more under me is going to give my lower back a lot of relief. I found this out after emailing Exile last week, they sent me some pictures of the mid mounts on a softail they have at the shop. From the pictures and the emails I was able to replicate pretty accurately on my bike how my feet would be positioned if I got the kit.

It's not a perfect riding position but i think it's gonna be a lot more comfortable than having my feet out in front of me. Plus I haven't seen anyone around here with mids on their softails.

2- exile also just came out with a YouTube channel where they showcase some of their products. There they had a video where the mids were installed on a softail standard. Looked pretty damn cool. I've wanted mids on a bike for a long time and I can't go out and get me a dyna so this is the best alternative. Lolol.

3- called today, no answer, left a message. Within a half hour Rusell himself was on the phone with me answering a few more questions I had. And to my surprise he was the guy I was emailing with back and forth last week !!!! The dude is awesome, down to earth and so knowledgable. He didn't sell me on his product, he answered my questions and made suggestions as to how to approach the one or two challenges I might face while installing the kit.

So, according to him I should have the parts by the end of the week !! I plan on installing the mids right away and using them, slapping some footpegs on them and using them to rest my feet while I ride.

I don't wanna mess with the bike too much in the middle of the season so the rear brake setup and the shifting mechanism is gonna have to wait till the fall. Being that I would have to swap the inner and outer primary covers.

Another reason I'm waiting is that I haven't ruled out the exile open primary setup. My bday is in October so if I can get enough dough for my bday I'm gonna put it towards the open primary. I don't want to have to do that swap twice Lolol

I have to make sure I ask for gift cards for my bday Lolol.

Stay tuned fellers b

Last edited by Alain; 06-22-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't wait to see them on!
Alain, can you post the links to those YouTube videos?

Old 06-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Sure Branner.

Here's the link to one of their videos. The rest of them should pop up. I think they just recently started doing this. I subscribed to the YouTube channel to stay on top of their stuff.

They call this the racy rocker. It looks freaking phenomenal. I love the oil tank they used on that build and the gas tank. The open belt drive on it looks ****, it's turning out to be a real challenge not buying that open belt drive. Lolol.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Here is the video showing their mids on the softail standard. I know it's not that big a deal to have mids but for some reason I really want them Lolol

Old 06-22-2015, 08:27 PM
tagalongtrouble
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Twist left grip clutch never heard of that but intrigued.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

i wouldn't mind just the mid control pegs for a new place to put your feet on those long rides... now ya got me thinking.....

Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Stay tuned boys. I'll have a review by next week.

That twist clutch would be like learning to ride all over again.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:46 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
i wouldn't mind just the mid control pegs for a new place to put your feet on those long rides... now ya got me thinking.....
That does sound like an idea. Get used to the mid control position before removing the forwards completely.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:26 AM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just as surprised to speak with him also when I went with my Exile stuff.

I still want their foot clutch and open primary......just waiting for the CDN $ to sort itself out.....

Alain, is there a gallery of what your ride looks like now? I tried looking through your posts but you you are apparently a HDForum ****......

Cheers brother

Old 06-23-2015, 04:32 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

The twist grip clutch in conjunction with the centrifugal clutch sounds pretty cool...not too sure about the jockey shift though. Those bars are clean....and that tandem foot brake setup.....hhmmmmm....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mids are coming boys