Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed with Deluxe after Cam install

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:23 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Disappointed with Deluxe after Cam install

So, I have put cams now in three different Softails, and was not really impressed with performance in any of them. Two of them were friends of mine, and they are since sold off. My Deluxe was the third build and you almost can't tell there are any cams in it. So here are the configurations:

1. Softail Deuce 2003 - Stock engine with Woods TW6, Stage 1 air, VH Big Shots. On Dyno it made like 82 hp

2. 2010 Fatboy 96" with SE 255 stock header Rush slip ons stage 1. Never dynoed, but seat of the pants no real difference

3. My 2011 Deluxe 96" with VH Big Shot Long, Stage 1 air, Woods TW6-6. Really weak.

All tuned with PV maps from Fuel Moto. Now, on my Dyna 96" Fat Bob, I put an SE255 in that bike and wow. Very noticeable low end difference. Stock engine Stage 1 VH Big Radius with PV map. My 2010 Ultra Limited with TW-222 feels like a tractor with PV map.

I am debating what to do and I am not really in the mood to tear the bike down for a 103 w/ compression upgrade, I just wanted a little more out of the bike beyond stock. Compression checks out since I do that standard on any cam job I do to make sure I am not a tooth off. Yall got any suggestions or are Softails down low just slugs.

Thanks,

Old 06-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Wrenchy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Softail's have B motors with counter balancers in them, they make lower numbers because of that. The Deuce made an OK number, fatboy you never dyno'd so you'll never know. Deluxe wasn't dyno'd either by the looks? Simply putting a map in them won't give you all you can get out of them... they need to be tuned properly.

Last edited by Wrenchy; 06-28-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:55 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Do the V&H Big Shot longs have a balance tube or chamber between the 2 pipes? The 96B motor on my 2011 runs strong with a 2" baffle slip-on, Vigilante tune to ECM and a Big Sucker A/F. These motors are very sensitive to exhaust back pressure. Too free flow and they fall on their face. The 96B motor on a Softail is a strong motor with the right "tune"

Last edited by checkers; 06-28-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:57 PM
Wrenchy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
Do the V&H Big Shot longs have a balance tube or chamber between the 2 pipes? The 96B motor on my 2011 runs strong with a 2" baffle slip-on, Vigilante tune to ECM and a Big Sucker A/F. These motors are very sensitive to exhaust back pressure. Too free flow and they fall on their face. The 96B motor on a soft ail is a strong motor with the right "tune"
I can back this up... when I got my NT I changed from a 2-1 to big rads and it fell on its face immediately. Changed back the next day and 42 miles later.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:30 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts

The Big Shot Longs do have the power chamber, but they are out of the box so no power tube or quiet baffles in them. I have read varying things about adding the baffle or a klockworx baffle and that helps, but not enuff consistent information on what should be done.

I wonder about reversion, bike seems to really fight itself when you gas it in the mid 2k rpms, then finally starts to smooth out and pickup power around 2900-3000 rpm.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:47 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tully_mars
The Big Shot Longs do have the power chamber, but they are out of the box so no power tube or quiet baffles in them. I have read varying things about adding the baffle or a klockworx baffle and that helps, but not enuff consistent information on what should be done.

I wonder about reversion, bike seems to really fight itself when you gas it in the mid 2k rpms, then finally starts to smooth out and pickup power around 2900-3000 rpm.
You can buy a couple of the torque inserts "lollipops" from DK Customs. Easy install and cheap and you can install them in 2 directions or angle them for more or less back pressure and test that way. I think you have too much flow from what you are describing. Cams can behave this way with the wrong combination of exhaust, A/F.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
You can buy a couple of the torque inserts "lollipops" from DK Customs. Easy install and cheap and you can install them in 2 directions or angle them for more or less back pressure and test that way. I think you have too much flow from what you are describing. Cams can behave this way with the wrong combination of exhaust, A/F.
Exhaust makes a huge difference. I put thumbscrews in mine and was blown away with the difference.

Check out my thread with dyno results. It felt like I put a big cam in my bike. Rode it today at the century and it had plenty more.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...confirmed.html

Old 06-28-2015, 07:52 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch this video it might help same principle for fuel injection

Here's the link to the topic on this forum

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...confirmed.html

Old 06-28-2015, 08:34 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Had HV BSS with x chamber. Cammed the bike and felt only a little improvement. Installed a 2n1 and it felt much much better.

The 2003 88" with a TW6 is a bad match, over cammed. And straight pipes. Not good.

Not familiar with tw6-6, possibly over cammed also. And straight pipes.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 PM
GadgetBandit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was disappointed with a download map. Had my bike professionally mapped. Wow!! Worth every penny.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Deluxe after Cam install