Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indroducing my new breakout

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:42 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Hey all. Just thought I would update on the pre-spring plans for the breakout. Most of these plans have been inspired here and have already been done. But any tips or thoughts on them be most appreciative.

Current projects for the bike:
New pipes (going with the trendy big radius 2-2s)
Adding a sportster quarter fairing with quick release for the longer trips.
Looking into constructing a quick-release tourpak bracket for the longer trips
New headlight? Not sure if I want to just pop in some daymakers or get a bullet-shaped headlamp that is a bit smaller that can fill the extra 3 inches inside the quarter fairing.
New rear tire. Want to up to either a 250/260. Thoughts on the best brand or size to go with?

Old 01-31-2016, 01:42 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like a plan

As for tires I can recommend the Metzeler ME880 260 for rear. If you don't want to mix tire brands/models you should consider changing the stock front tire for a Metzeler ME880 120/70 at the same time. Both tires are a fantastic improvement over the stock concrete blocks....

Old 01-31-2016, 02:22 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Sounds like a plan

As for tires I can recommend the Metzeler ME880 260 for rear. If you don't want to mix tire brands/models you should consider changing the stock front tire for a Metzeler ME880 120/70 at the same time. Both tires are a fantastic improvement over the stock concrete blocks....
I agree, super happy with the Metz. 260!!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
I agree, super happy with the Metz. 260!!
will there any problem fitting the metz 120/70 with the heartland fender?...just got my fender in the mail fri..and the sheet said fits with stock size tire only.....

Old 02-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Not sure, haven't switched the front yet, I'll probably have to move the fender up a little when I do, I'll lose about 1/4" clearance with the 120/70 and it's pretty tight now..

Old 02-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice!!!

Old 02-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Not sure, haven't switched the front yet, I'll probably have to move the fender up a little when I do, I'll lose about 1/4" clearance with the 120/70 and it's pretty tight now..
I see...haven't even took my fender out the box yet...so busy right now with work...im thinking ill test fit it this weekend and then paint next wk with the fairing as well

Old 02-27-2016, 10:12 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Latest upgrades:

Got the fairing and pipes squared away and rode around town on a 60 degree michigan february day! Pipes sound freaking great. I still haven't gotten a new fuelpak yet though, but so far haven't noticed a problem without it on the day I had the bike out. Will have a better idea by spring. Fairing needs to be painted and my only complaint is it is low enough that it really is negligible for the head. Also it doesn't fit against the headlight perfectly...it needs to be at least 1cm lower or I need the HL to be 1cm higher. Has anyone tried the Laminar quarter fairing extension with this setup?

Thanks a bunch for the feedback on the tires too. Found some decent prices online for the metzlers. I keep thinking I might lower the rear suspension, but do the 260s fill up enough space to make lowering not really necessary?

Attached Thumbnails Indroducing my new breakout-bo-side.jpg   Indroducing my new breakout-bo-lf.jpg   Indroducing my new breakout-bo-rf.jpg  
Old 02-28-2016, 02:30 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by matte
Latest upgrades:

Got the fairing and pipes squared away and rode around town on a 60 degree michigan february day! Pipes sound freaking great. I still haven't gotten a new fuelpak yet though, but so far haven't noticed a problem without it on the day I had the bike out. Will have a better idea by spring. Fairing needs to be painted and my only complaint is it is low enough that it really is negligible for the head. Also it doesn't fit against the headlight perfectly...it needs to be at least 1cm lower or I need the HL to be 1cm higher. Has anyone tried the Laminar quarter fairing extension with this setup?

Thanks a bunch for the feedback on the tires too. Found some decent prices online for the metzlers. I keep thinking I might lower the rear suspension, but do the 260s fill up enough space to make lowering not really necessary?
The 260 doesn't fill the gap between the tire and the fender as it doesn't have a greater diameter. If you wanna get rid of that gap you'll need to lower the rear.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:06 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Greetings matte.

I like the way you're reshaping your BO. The lines you're developing are unique IMHO. I've never quite cared for mini fairings but you've made this look good !!

The bars you've chosen are uncommon and well suited too. Do they cure the stock BO "bicep view" mirror problem ? Those of us who have chosen apes get an automatic work around on the mirrors. I'm thinking you have "fixed" that too.

Anyhow, sweet ride bro !! The side reflectors are coming off right (hint) ?

Quick Reply: Indroducing my new breakout