Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indroducing my new breakout

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:17 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Greetings matte.

I like the way you're reshaping your BO. The lines you're developing are unique IMHO. I've never quite cared for mini fairings but you've made this look good !!

The bars you've chosen are uncommon and well suited too. Do they cure the stock BO "bicep view" mirror problem ? Those of us who have chosen apes get an automatic work around on the mirrors. I'm thinking you have "fixed" that too.

Anyhow, sweet ride bro !! The side reflectors are coming off right (hint) ?
Thanks for the feedback!
Reflectors quick come off at some point. Just need to work up how to do it.

The bars are great for the mirror problem, though I still plan on swapping those out. There's a few guys here with these bars. I just don't like the hd tribals and need to find one that would work. I will probably grab up some lower risers next to push the bars forward a bit. They ride nice now, but a few inches forward and they'll be perfect.

I know I need to paint the fairing, but I almost like how the flat black goes with the pipes and the other black areas.

Last edited by matte; 02-28-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:10 AM
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy's Avatar
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like this bar do you have link to where i could buy it? And what else do i need to buy if i want this bar? Do i need to buy a riser too?

Old 03-18-2016, 05:12 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ride indeed! I love the break out. Saw a really nice CVO break out and came close to getting it but reality sank in thank GOD, I not in the states enough to have enjoyed it. As to your bars, comfort is a big factor but looks go along as well, I would have thought that some mini -apes might have done the trick and added to an already bad *** bike. Did you consider them or just not like them. Bike looks great and as others have said I love the color as well, but I was just curious in your choice of bars. Ride safe!

Old 03-18-2016, 06:20 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by matte
Latest upgrades:

Got the fairing and pipes squared away and rode around town on a 60 degree michigan february day! Pipes sound freaking great. I still haven't gotten a new fuelpak yet though, but so far haven't noticed a problem without it on the day I had the bike out. Will have a better idea by spring. Fairing needs to be painted and my only complaint is it is low enough that it really is negligible for the head. Also it doesn't fit against the headlight perfectly...it needs to be at least 1cm lower or I need the HL to be 1cm higher. Has anyone tried the Laminar quarter fairing extension with this setup?

Thanks a bunch for the feedback on the tires too. Found some decent prices online for the metzlers. I keep thinking I might lower the rear suspension, but do the 260s fill up enough space to make lowering not really necessary?
Nice ride! I love my breakout, many different directions you can go with upgrades. Please keep the pictures coming and read the threads, lots of experience out there and folks are willing to help out.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:47 AM
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy's Avatar
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys what is the widest tire we could use on our rear rim without modding the bike and without it looking weird?

Old 03-18-2016, 10:38 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
Hey guys what is the widest tire we could use on our rear rim without modding the bike and without it looking weird?
Dude, this has been discussed here over and over again....plenty of info if you bother to use the search function

Depends on brand of tire...I run a Metzeler ME880 260. Mounted to the rim it's only like 247 mm wide. I read of some running 250 Dunlop Elite 3, I guess. Some go with Pirelli Night Dragon, Avon etc.

It's said 260 is as wide as you can go on the rim and swing arm etc. But be aware that once you lower the rear there will be very little clearance left between the tire and the mounting brackets of the struts inside the fender if you go to wide...I doubt that a true 260 will stay well clear of those brackets when lowered...

Last edited by EagleRay; 03-18-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Jackpot Johnnie
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Beautiful bike. Congrats

Old 03-18-2016, 12:27 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
I really like this bar do you have link to where i could buy it? And what else do i need to buy if i want this bar? Do i need to buy a riser too?
http://www.carlinidesign.com/Bagger-...rag-1-50-1-25/

The only thing you need for this setup is a spacer where the handlebars clamp. Some people here found parts online that were essentially steps to fill the gap. I found a black rubber hose that was .25" thick with a 1" internal diameter, cut it to fill the space and it has worked ever since. Need to get it really tight if you go this route so it doesn't slip, but to date I have never had an issue.

These bars with the stock risers allow you to sit straight up on the bike with your arms at a relative 90 degree angle. If you want a little more aggressive stance, you need smaller risers. You would either switch out the handlebar clamp/risers with the CVO ones, or you can go with the thunderbike risers that at least one person here has bought:

http://shop.thunderbike.de/en/Thunde...it-chrome.html

The thunderbike option is technically less to mess around with and slightly cheaper than the the CVO brackets...but everyone has their preferences.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:40 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member

Made a few updates. Added some burst collection gear to the pegs and the tribal mirrors. Will add passenger burst pegs when my under seat mounts arrive. Also fixed the gap between the fairing and the headlight by adding a 3" high block with 3/4" forward offset by headwinds. Downside to that is they are threaded to for their own headlights. Just drilled the threading out and used the stock nut and bolt. Worked out overall though.

Attached Thumbnails Indroducing my new breakout-fb_img_1459031877029.jpg   Indroducing my new breakout-fb_img_1459031887362.jpg   Indroducing my new breakout-fb_img_1459031894886.jpg  
Old 03-27-2016, 05:55 AM
Wind Walker
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey matte I was just wondering what modification you made to make the sportster fairing fit your breakout? I just bought one also . BTW nice ride.

Quick Reply: Indroducing my new breakout