Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

Been looking in to converting to a hydraulic clutch for the Lo. I have checked out Joker, Roland Sands, PM. HHI and some of the other more "economical" stuff on eBay. I have priced the stock set up from HD as well, and its not as expensive as I thought it would be. At this point I'm leaning toward the side cover from Trask.

Those that have done this mod which parts did you go with and why?

Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM
cpc0812
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with PM slave cylinder and HD master cylinder from a CVO. I did this on a 2010 deluxe. You will also need to get a new clutch switch if you are gonna use your stock control switches. If you do not you will throw a code because your bike will think you are riding around with the clutch pulled in. This part also came from a CVO bike. I can get part #s for you later. I love it and am glad I did it.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

I have already picked up a master cylinder from a 2014 Street Glide, I need to look into the clutch switch, it's going to be different from the cable one? My other concern about this is my bike is a Can-bus system (2011). Thanks for the heads up, now more research.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:51 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I switched over to hydraulic clutch when I put my apes on and I ran everything internally. I used all Harley parts. I love it too!

Old 07-02-2015, 04:58 PM
cpc0812
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I have already picked up a master cylinder from a 2014 Street Glide, I need to look into the clutch switch, it's going to be different from the cable one? My other concern about this is my bike is a Can-bus system (2011). Thanks for the heads up, now more research.
You will need a new lever as well. I know that with the PM slave you will reuse the push rod, thrust washers, throw out bearing, and retainer ring. I do not know about the HD slave. It may be all new parts, as in a completely new mechanism. IDK. Ive been very happy with PM. Just get a close look at where your lever presses the clutch switch and then go look at a 2014 street glide and do the same. Mine was the opposite. So basically my stock lever pressed the clutch switch when pulled in allowing me to start the bike in gear. When I switched to hydraulic, the new lever pressed the clutch switch when released, therefore causing the bike to think I was riding with the clutch pulled in and not starting anymore in gear with lever pulled in because the bike thought the lever was released. Hopefully this makes sense. The clutch switch that I needed for my bike was only $28 from HD. I think you'll like it no matter which brand you choose.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I switched over to hydraulic clutch when I put my apes on and I ran everything internally. I used all Harley parts. I love it too!
I really like the way yours turned out, it's very clean and it was definitely an influence in my decision to run my bars internal.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cpc0812
You will need a new lever as well. I know that with the PM slave you will reuse the push rod, thrust washers, throw out bearing, and retainer ring. I do not know about the HD slave. It may be all new parts, as in a completely new mechanism. IDK. Ive been very happy with PM. Just get a close look at where your lever presses the clutch switch and then go look at a 2014 street glide and do the same. Mine was the opposite. So basically my stock lever pressed the clutch switch when pulled in allowing me to start the bike in gear. When I switched to hydraulic, the new lever pressed the clutch switch when released, therefore causing the bike to think I was riding with the clutch pulled in and not starting anymore in gear with lever pulled in because the bike thought the lever was released. Hopefully this makes sense. The clutch switch that I needed for my bike was only $28 from HD. I think you'll like it no matter which brand you choose.
Was the switch in the same location? Just a difference in normally closed versus normally open switch? I did get the stock lever with the master cylinder so I can compare it to my old one.

I need to run to HD today anyway so I will take a look, thanks for the info.

Last edited by Fat11Lo; 07-03-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:29 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you Fat11lo. Compliments from other bikers count the most. I love the clutch, its right now and very precise. If I knew I liked it as much as I do I would have put one on even with stock bars. If your going to do it make sure you stagger your wire splicing so it will pull through the bars much more easily.

When doing my bike I set out to make it low, long and stream line. I didn't want crap hanging out or all over it. Pulling my light bar and going with internals has really pulled that off, IMHO.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:29 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Fat11Lo. Hope you don't mind if i piggyback on your thread. I have wanted to do this for years but couldn't ever get any solid info to make me go in this direction. I am wanting to go the PM route. PM clutch slave, PM countour controls and run the hydraulic lines for the clutch/front brake through the bars. Where I really need the help is locating the right hoses and fittings. Last time I tried researching this I kept seeing something about the hoses being reccomended for "show" only. I didn't want to go through all this trouble and find out that the hoses would be a constant issue especially if they would be run through the bars.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:16 AM
cpc0812
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Was the switch in the same location? Just a difference in normally closed versus normally open switch? I did get the stock lever with the master cylinder so I can compare it to my old one.

I need to run to HD today anyway so I will take a look, thanks for the info.
Switch is in same location. What was normally closed with stock setup was open with hydraulic setup and vise versa. Good luck and let us know how you like it once all set up.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion