Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light always on **fixed**

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Brake light always on **fixed**

Sorry for the length of this post.
It could have been shorter but I wanted to be specific.

On a poker run last week one of the other riders informed me that my brake light was always on.

Once I got home I search this forum and found numerous threads on the subject with various possible causes but I found time and time again the ******** with the problems never posted what the actual fix was.

Anyway, thanks to the responses to the ******** who were asking for help but not posting their fix, I was able to determine that my problem was my front brake light switch.

Whenever the front brake level is not being pulled the level depresses a little plastic switch.
Once the brake level is pulled, pressure is taken off the switch which closes the circuit inside the switch and thus activates the brake light.

On the plastic switch there is a small dimple that apparent if not careful can be broken off when screwing with the front left controls or the dimple can just be broken off due to wear.

Anyway what I did in the interim was epoxy a small rubber washer onto the head of the switch to fill the space where the dimple was.
This allows the brake level to depress the switch which in turn opens the circuit and turns off the brake light.

I called the dealer to get the small plastic switch and they wanted $60 for this small plastic next to nothing switch along with the fact they had to order it.
I found the switch for $17 at JP Cycles but also found it at a local indie bike shop for $16. So I bought the switch.

As of right now my rubber washer fix is holding strong and seeing that I have a replacement switch on hand my temp fix will probably last forever.
Also, even though not rocket science, the switch replacement looks like it could be a pain in the ***.

Anyway if my temp fix fails, I have the replacement switch on hand.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-02-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Great to know, thanks for posting. Have a pic of your fix?

Old 07-03-2015, 08:46 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the same issue and I put some duct tape on the lever....been working fjne for several thousand miles. But if J&P has a new one for that cheap, I might just have to do that instead

Old 07-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Generally if you do not use a proper spacer and procedure when removing the brake lever, the lever snags the little switch and screws it up. Several symptoms can occur: No brake light when lever is pulled; Brake light always on; switch sticks when lever is pulled.

This is a very common issue (mostly when changing grips or handle bars). Unfortunately you have to be good with a soldering iron to get into the small space to replace the switch. I bet dollars to doughnuts most of your local dealers keep them in stock.

Last edited by Gommee; 07-04-2015 at 12:23 AM.