Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, I just bought a crossbones.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:37 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 1goindiesel
Here is you XB's Cousin "Jethro"

Wow! You've done a lot of cool things! Is that a bandana under your seat? Looks fantastic! I am thinking about changing my seat to the style that you have. Mine is pretty comfy, but I really dig the look. Maybe after the shotgun shock.

Last edited by musicnbikes; 08-25-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:41 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master

Man! Your bike is practically brand new! My bike had 4600 miles on it, when she became mine. A little over 5000 now. I've never seen your model in person, but it bet it pops in the sunlight. Great contrast, too! Those are the easy mods, then once you do that, you're hooked. Lol. Post pics of your progress, but for now, while the weather is great, I'd ride it, that's where the most fun is anyway.

Originally Posted by ottomatic
Thanks, Well, it's a 2010, Silver Pearl. I will be changing out the exhaust and air cleaner as the previous owner made those changes. 1,720 miles on the odometer.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:00 AM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by musicnbikes
Wow! You've done a lot of cool things! Is that a bandana under your seat? Looks fantastic! I am thinking about changing my seat to the style that you have. Mine is pretty comfy, but I really dig the look. Maybe after the shotgun shock.
Thanks. Yup it is a bandana that I spray lacquered in the battery cover. The battery cover is an inexpensive part that you can do a lot of nice and inexpensive touches on.
Another cheap mod was to cut off the rear drop fender and mount the plate on the side showing off all the nice wide back tire.
Deleted the rear signals and got an all in one tail light.
At this point I am done, just ride it.
Only has about 6000 miles on it as I ride my RK on longer rides.
I really like the back fender on yours but as mentioned about done spending (although there are some really cool upswept pipes with brass "flappers" on top that are awesome (Shade Tree maybe). Keep posting your upgrades, fun to watch her morph.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:02 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master

Thanks! Upsweeps with brass flappers, that would be pretty cool!im thinking of doing the shotgun shock upgrade next. I just ordered a solo bag, but, later on, I may ditch the rear fender, add a rear heritage fender, front heritage springer fender, softail slim wheels, with white walls, and springer bags.then a spiff paint job, dual fishtail exhausts, then see what's left, after that.

Originally Posted by 1goindiesel
Thanks. Yup it is a bandana that I spray lacquered in the battery cover. The battery cover is an inexpensive part that you can do a lot of nice and inexpensive touches on.
Another cheap mod was to cut off the rear drop fender and mount the plate on the side showing off all the nice wide back tire.
Deleted the rear signals and got an all in one tail light.
At this point I am done, just ride it.
Only has about 6000 miles on it as I ride my RK on longer rides.
I really like the back fender on yours but as mentioned about done spending (although there are some really cool upswept pipes with brass "flappers" on top that are awesome (Shade Tree maybe). Keep posting your upgrades, fun to watch her morph.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Musicnbikes, when you install your passing lamps, I'd suggest installing them on the Aux circuit, that way they will stay on when you hit your high beam. Plus, the factory headlight/taillight 15 amp circuit is nearly tapped out with passing lights on it, if you later decide to install a run turn brake controller it'll likely start blowing the fuse. I highly recommend a RTB controller for visibility, I have the HD version and wish I'd kept my Custom Dynamics as it allows different taillight flashes when braking.

If you need instructions on wiring the passing lights let me know I did a write up. No need to pull the tank and from memory it's the orange with white stripe line to tap into...but don't quote me on that.

p.s. front fender swap is a pretty big deal... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...nder-swap.html

Here's the rear how to. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...nder-swap.html Skeezemachine did some great write-ups.

Last edited by Joe_G; 08-26-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:01 AM
musicnbikes
Road Master

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Musicnbikes, when you install your passing lamps, I'd suggest installing them on the Aux circuit, that way they will stay on when you hit your high beam. Plus, the factory headlight/taillight 15 amp circuit is nearly tapped out with passing lights on it, if you later decide to install a run turn brake controller it'll likely start blowing the fuse. I highly recommend a RTB controller for visibility, I have the HD version and wish I'd kept my Custom Dynamics as it allows different taillight flashes when braking.

If you need instructions on wiring the passing lights let me know I did a write up. No need to pull the tank and from memory it's the orange with white stripe line to tap into...but don't quote me on that.

p.s. front fender swap is a pretty big deal... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...nder-swap.html

Here's the rear how to. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...nder-swap.html Skeezemachine did some great write-ups.
I feel like I say thank you, a lot. But, I'm serious. Thank you, for helping me out. Through that fender post, I am buying skeezes old bags. I'm not quite at the stage of hooking the aux lights up, have to powdercoat, first. But I will look at your post when I hook them up. If I have any questions, I'll ask. Thanks, Again, for being so helpful. If I'm ever in Florida, I'll have to buy you a drink.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:07 AM
musicnbikes
Road Master

An update: the BDL is a success. It's running really well. It's a little whiny, and I had to adjust the clutch twice. But overall, I'm very happy with it. If any of you are interested n it, it's not too hard to install. Make sure you have a bearing race removal tool. I didn't, and had to order one, set me back a few days. Also, you do not need a press for the bearing. I simply put the bearing in the freezer for about 1 1/2 hours, put the inner primary plate in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes @300 degrees. Then the bearing practically fell into place, with minimal effort.

I'm probably going to ride like this for a while, until it gets too cold, then I'll start more mods. I'm going to be gathering parts for a little while. By spring, should be a noticeable change.

Last edited by musicnbikes; 08-29-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by musicnbikes
I feel like I say thank you, a lot. But, I'm serious. Thank you, for helping me out. Through that fender post, I am buying skeezes old bags. I'm not quite at the stage of hooking the aux lights up, have to powdercoat, first. But I will look at your post when I hook them up. If I have any questions, I'll ask. Thanks, Again, for being so helpful. If I'm ever in Florida, I'll have to buy you a drink.
It's my pleasure, I have received a lot of help from forums over the years, and I like to take a minute and give back a little help if I've done something and can help someone as they work on their car/bike. But it's very nice of you to mention. I think while this country tries to be so darn politically correct we've lost the concept of just being civil and thanking someone for help. lol

Here's my little write up and it is orange with white stripe for the Aux circuit. I ended up not needing to take the tank off, and I returned the shark bite connector - there's not really room to use it. I just sacrifice 6" or so if fuel line every time I take the tank off, it's cheap. That two vice grip trick is a great tip for not spilling gas everywhere.

You don't have a fender light wire like I did but you should still find the orange and white wire in your wiring harness under the tank. You'll need to feed your new fender lamp from it when you install the springer fender. You'll also need to find a place to mount your passing light switch. On Springers it's a toggle switch (no relay so it's a 15 amp switch, be sure and get a high current toggle switch when you do your passing lights) mounted where the normal softail horn is. Since I switched to a softail horn mount with my air horn, I just left the switch tucked behind the horn and it's fine. I was going to fashion a mount for it using a carb bike engine mount, which has the horn mount and a choke mount adjacent, but I never got around to it. I also highly recommend that Stebel horn, it's a safety item.

Any questions just ask, I'm happy to help.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-springer.html

Old 08-29-2015, 01:15 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master

Yes, Joe, I think people showing appreciation for advice, or help, is a lost art.i have no problem thanking someone, I do not view that as a sign of weakness, or whatever. I saw the steibel horn upgrade, on the springer site. I do want to add one, or some type of air horn. If I ever get everything for this bike, it's probably going to add 100 pounds to it. Lol. I have a lot of plans for it, for sure. Over the winter, I will start on them. New paint, new look.
PS....don't get me started on PCness. I knew it was a bad idea, when I first heard the term, in 1997.
How's the hurricane watch down there? Batten down the hatches!
Originally Posted by Joe_G
It's my pleasure, I have received a lot of help from forums over the years, and I like to take a minute and give back a little help if I've done something and can help someone as they work on their car/bike. But it's very nice of you to mention. I think while this country tries to be so darn politically correct we've lost the concept of just being civil and thanking someone for help. lol

Here's my little write up and it is orange with white stripe for the Aux circuit. I ended up not needing to take the tank off, and I returned the shark bite connector - there's not really room to use it. I just sacrifice 6" or so if fuel line every time I take the tank off, it's cheap. That two vice grip trick is a great tip for not spilling gas everywhere.

You don't have a fender light wire like I did but you should still find the orange and white wire in your wiring harness under the tank. You'll need to feed your new fender lamp from it when you install the springer fender. You'll also need to find a place to mount your passing light switch. On Springers it's a toggle switch (no relay so it's a 15 amp switch, be sure and get a high current toggle switch when you do your passing lights) mounted where the normal softail horn is. Since I switched to a softail horn mount with my air horn, I just left the switch tucked behind the horn and it's fine. I was going to fashion a mount for it using a carb bike engine mount, which has the horn mount and a choke mount adjacent, but I never got around to it. I also highly recommend that Stebel horn, it's a safety item.

Any questions just ask, I'm happy to help.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-springer.html

Old 09-06-2015, 10:23 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master

Update: parts ordered. Will post pictures soon. Getting ready for winter, a little early, but just trying to get all of the parts together, and line up a great painter.

Quick Reply: So, I just bought a crossbones.