Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping from two piece seats to one piece?

Old 07-04-2015, 03:35 AM
Upnorth433
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping from two piece seats to one piece?

I have a 2011 Heritage with the stock driver's seat and I put a deluxe passenger's seat on to keep the sleek look. I just purchased a used Saddlemen Explorer one piece seat for my wife and I. It's not going to have any directions and the online directions are terrible. I'll figure it out when it arrives but it dawned on me there are going to be the two studs underneath where the two piece driver's seat bolts on that are not going to be used. On seats like the sundowner and other larger touring seats are there cutouts for the "*****" so you don't have to remove the studs and ***** when you put on the one piece seat? I'm hoping I'm not going to have to re-install the studs every time I want to swap back to the smaller seats for bike night and cruising around town. If that's the case I'll likely resell the seat and buy a nice passengers seat.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I am sure someone with the correct answer will chime in, but I just want to pass along that the bracket with the 2 studs dropped down from the fender onto the tire on mine when I removed the 2 big white flat washers once. I played h_ll getting that bracket back up there. I ended up buying the larger pillion pad for the bride and she is happy.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:21 AM
Upnorth433
Advanced

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. Is aw a video where a guy used one of those snake magnets to put the bracket back in place.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

First just a recommendation;

Whenever writing an online message either e-mail or as such as this forum it is best to break up the sentences so that it's easier to read.

I have tried the Harley Sundowner Seat and ended up with the Harley Signature Series Seat.

Both had holes in the seat frame to account for the two seat studs.
Once you remove your old seat you put nuts on the studs and the seat fits over the nuts.

As for hold down; both of the above mentioned seats mounted just like the stock seats other than the two mid-level studs.

I bought my Signature Series seat used and it didn't come with the passenger hold strap which not only do I like due to it helps secure the seat, but my Wife likes it so that she has something to hold on too.
I ended up getting a strap off e-bay for around $10.

Long story short; if the Saddlemen's seat is for a Heritage or Deluxe (and perhaps other softails) it should have the stud cutouts in the seat.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-04-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

My one piece seat had the holes for the studs too. I put regular nuts on the studs to hold them in place as the big thumb screw nuts were tight under the seat.

For those losing their studs when the nuts are removed, my studs came with large plastic washers to hold them in place when the nuts are removed, any thin plastic with a hole drilled in it would work. Like a milk jug. FYI if you lose the studs, you can easily remove the computer pan (4 allen bolts) and reach in and get it.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Upnorth433
Advanced

Thanks, I'm guessing the saddlemen seats are the same as Harleys one piece, I will update when it arrives so anyone in the future will also know.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Upnorth433
Thanks, I'm guessing the saddlemen seats are the same as Harleys one piece, I will update when it arrives so anyone in the future will also know.
I'm sure it will. Worst case you can remove the computer box and remove the studs and store them with the old seat.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:05 PM
EvoSpringer
Cruiser

Just a little trick to get that stud plate in and out is to remove the black cover thats covering your rear fender underneath your seat where ignition module is and pull it forward and slide your hand in the there and grab your stud plate. This way works real good for me

Last edited by EvoSpringer; 07-04-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:09 PM
EvoSpringer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'm sure it will. Worst case you can remove the computer box and remove the studs and store them with the old seat.
+1 on the easy way to do it

Old 07-05-2015, 01:35 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Yep; been there and done that. Any good seat will fit. Mustang?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping from two piece seats to one piece?