Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How light is your steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Upnorth433
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How light is your steering?

I bought a 2011 Heritage with 3700 miles on it. I now have 4600 miles on it. My last bikes were not Harleys and I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal? My steering feels really light, I wouldn't call it a wobble, but the tiniest movement of my bars is felt. I would say it's a little "twitchy" if that makes sense?

I've read all this stuff about steering stem adjustment and fall away tests and sounds nuts. I've never had a steering stem issue on any of my 20 some dirt bikes and road bikes. On dirt bikes a cheap solution to the steering being twitchy is tighten the steering stem bolt until you just feel resistance turning the bars. I'm very tempted to try this just to see the effect. Of course everything seems harder on a Harley lol, It looks like I'll have to tear apart the nacelle just to reach the bottom pinch bolts. Seems like a good idea to at least loosen them before tightening the top bolt.

It's sure odd to me how Harley does things, the fall away test seems ridiculous to me. Any other bike I've heard of just suggests torque specs for steering heads? Anyway my last bike was a victory dresser and was rock solid and very heavy steering so I may be over thinking my new bike. I had the stock bars on but switched to beach bars which have exaggerated the effect some.

I don't feel it's dangerous just feels light, kind of like a skinny 21" front tire. I may demo another heritage at the dealer just to see if it feels the same too.

Last edited by Upnorth433; 07-05-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to suggest just that, rent a Heritage for a day and see if it is the same. Cheaper than pulling it all apart.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

The Heritage will not feel like a dresser that's one of the reason so many love Softails.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-05-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:07 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by fcsallan
I was going to suggest just that, rent a Heritage for a day and see if it is the same. Cheaper than pulling it all apart.
Renting is cheaper??? Pulling it apart is free.
The fall away test serves the exact purpose you are questioning. I have a Heritage and put Mini Apes on it and it will wobble when I move the Throttle Tensioner - added leverage + easy Steering. It is not a Touring bike as stated, much lighter touch than my Ultra.
If it freaks you out tighten it slightly and test it.

Last edited by TSheff; 07-05-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my 2002 Fat Boy always felt light to me too. I have wide bars on it and thought that may have something to do with it. I noticed loosening my grip on the bars helped. I also wanted to try a steering stabilizer.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:17 AM
blackSP
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My Slim is definitely too light at the front. Too bad, comes with the design...

Old 07-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Upnorth433
Advanced

Ok it seems fairly normal then from the sounds of everyone else. It's not dangerous or sketchy just wondered if that was how these bikes felt. I'm probably just used to my last bagger and the heavier front end. Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you get the death wobble at high speeds, or if you go free handed? That's the common symptom of neck bearings that are too loose. If you don't, I'd suggest that it's just the normal feel of the softail.

I went from a Road King to my current Heritage Springer and I borrow my buddy's Heritage softail when I'm in town. At low speeds, the Heritage softail has the lightest steering feel of all three bikes, by a noticeable amount. My springer has the heaviest feel and the Road King was in the middle.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I think you'll find the shorter rake on a heritage and slim play a part in a light twitchy feeling in the steering. If the parts up front are all lightweight that'll really add to the effect

Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM
digthemlows
Cruiser

The scariest day on my Deuce was the first. I rode my ducati 3 hours to the dealer to trade for the Harley. The duc was flawless in it's steering, handling, and suspension, the harley was twitchy..... but, a few thousand miles later and I've learned how to handle it. It never speed wobbles, it just is a little light in the front.... I can cruise with no hands and speed and it's fine...... Depending on what you've ridden in the past, I think it's safe to say that Harley's are not about handling and performance in the way that other bikes are..........but they are fun as all hell!!

Quick Reply: How light is your steering?