Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Deluxe rear brake light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:12 PM
nhhdrider944
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks, I'm new here and could use some help. I have a 2008 Softail Deluxe and noticed I have no rear brake light or tail light. I went to HD today and installed both bulbs. I turned on the power and the tail light came on as it should and the rear brake light came on and will not turn off. I have no idea how to get the brake light to shut off and turn back on when I hit the rear brake peddle. Anybody that can help me I really would appreciate.
Thanks, Phil

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-07-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:14 AM
cognosticator
Intermediate

A month ago I changed out my handlebars and grips and when I put it all back together I didn't get the front brake lever back on correctly. A friend riding behind me said my brake light stayed on all the time. When I changed out levers I noticed that the brake lever holds in the brake light switch then when you pull in the lever it lets the switch out and turns the brake light on. I noticed that and made sure that the new lever was holding the switch in, which keeps the brake light off. I don't know if you have done anything to that area but if you have check it out.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:20 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

there was a recall on the 09's brake light switch for sticking. Right side, lower side near the trans, behind the exhaust pipe. Quick fix.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:32 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I see you are new to the forum; welcome.

The Forum Search function is a great way to find answers to your questions.
Lets face it most problems have been incurred others and "most of the time" the fix is posted.

Below is a link of my thread from last week.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-on-fixed.html

Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's most likely one of your brake switches. Most commonly the front brake switch. I'm not sure if you ever have taken apart your throttle side switch housing or replaced your brake lever, but if you have, a common thing folks forget to do is shim their brake lever before disassembly.

Shimming the brake lever lifts the lever off of the brake switch so it is not damaged during assembly or disassembly. Your switch may be damaged or not seated correctly.

Your plunger seal may also be dried out which prevents the plunger from returning all the way to deactivate the switch. You can lubricate it with a little brake fluid.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Schoolam
Intermediate
Default Front Brake Switch

It's gotta be the front switch. If your rear switch was bad then the brake pedal would not activate the brake light, but it would still activate the rear brakes. Most likely the rubber boot over the front switch is worn out. It's a fairly simple procedure once you get in there. Don't buy one from the dealership either, $60 for the damn thing. You can probably get one aftermarket for about a third of the price and get exactly the same thing you would get from the dealership. See if any of your local shops are dealers for Drag Specialties. They will either have one or be able to get you one much cheaper.