Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some tranny/shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some tranny/shifting problems

I have an 06 FXST and it has approx 4400 miles on it. Last weekend went for about a 700 ride down to Fredericksburg, TX and Luchenbach and on the way home it got where it did not want to downshift...mainly from 4th on down. I did not think much of it, especially after I got home and rode it the next day around town and did not have one problem. Anyway today the g/f and I ride up to Beavers Bend, OK and about half way thru the trip it starts to do it again, and it is getting where it did not want to up shift into 3rd. When you downshift it and it wont go you can put some pressure on it (right before you would upshift) and then try to downshift again and it will go. Seems to only do it when the tranny gets good and warm. I bought it in 3/06....will warranty cover it? Anybody know what it could be??

Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
jhugs92
Advanced
Default RE: Some tranny/shifting problems

i would suggest to take it to the dealer and tell them it is f*#@&ed up and see if they cover it, let us know what you find out. good luck!!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

I called them today and they said "well it should be covered under warranty." I found out I have a two year warranty so I don't see why they would even say "should be!" If it ain't I "Will be" kickin off in there a$$. Let you guys know what happens.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 PM
overthehill
Cruiser

What kind of oil are you using in the tranny and crankcase etc? My Street Bob had the same problem with sticking gears and grinding sound when changing gears.I found out it had the Harley Synthetic in it. I switched to Amsoil 20w-50 for motorcycles and the problem was solved.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

Uh, I think it is just harley stuff....non synthetic. It really doesn't make any grinding sounds though. I read in another post about a guy with an 07 and everyone recommended that he adjust his clutch. It is hard for me cause it is fine around town but when you get 300 miles from the house it starts it.....guess I need to take some wrenches and hit the road!! LOL!

Old 04-30-2007, 08:46 PM
overthehill
Cruiser

Whoops. Have to correct myself. 20/50 in the motor 10/40 in primary and 75/90 tranny. Anyway. Let us know what you find out.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
ozzy07840
Cruiser

i have the same problem with my 07 fxst wont down shift most of the time ,went to dealer last night ,they took it for a ride and said that it didnt happen for them and thats theres nothing wrong with it .... im calling again today and tell them that i dont want the bike back until its fixed wonder if ill ever get my ride back ???

Old 05-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

If I got on my bike right now it will not do it....but let me get everything good and hot like 150 miles of riding and it starts it. I am gonna try to adjust the clutch to see if that helps.

Which way do I adjust it?? Do I adjust it where I have more slack in the lever or less? Hope someone knows what I am talking about! LOL!

I figure if I take mine to the stealer they will tell me the same thing.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:54 PM
ghHDST07
Stage I

It sounds like the exact same shifting issue I just had. I also figured out that when it doesn't shift that If i just tap it a little to reset the shifter that I can then shift it. I actually just took it to the dealer yesterday and they knew exactly what the problem was and fixed it in about 15 minutes (and it is usually heat related which is why you notice it after riding a while). The problem lies where the shifter attaches to the bike (See the attached picture). There are bearings and other components in there that springs the shifter back to the "neutral" position to allow you to make the next shift. Apparently the bearings in there can get rather hot when riding causing them to expand which causes the "spring" action to no longer occur. In other words it doesn't allow the shifter to reset after making a shift and therefore you can't shift to the next gear. How those bearings get that hot to cause extreme expansion is beyond me. Anyways, my dealer knew that this was the problem as soon as i told him. I think he said he replaced the bearings, cleaned out all the other gunk and components and threw a bunch of grease in there and had it finished in about 15 minutes. NO MORE SHIFTING PROBLEMS. It actually seams to shift smoother than the day I got it. So it sounds as if this is the same issue you are having. Hopefully this helps.

By the way mine is a 2007 softail custom with only 1400 miles on it and I already had this problem occur.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31014/D325BF31E5F44261A43DAF2EC0802AEC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

Hmm, I guess I will have to get out in the carport and take a peek. I noticed that my shifter does not spring back very well. So maybe that is the problem. If not does anybody know the answer to the clutch question I ask the post before??

Quick Reply: Some tranny/shifting problems