Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here. 2007 Softail Standard. Questions re: O2 sensors and detachable backrest.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:55 PM
thunnus
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here. 2007 Softail Standard. Questions re: O2 sensors and detachable backrest.

Hi folks,

New here. New to HD, but not new to riding. Next week I'm bringing home a 2007 Softail Standard - I can't wait. It's been a long time coming. Couple questions:

The bike currently has straight pipes with no O2 sensors. Too loud for my tastes. For the time being, I've got a stock exhaust that I'll be putting on (craigslist find) until I make a permanent decision on pipes. I see the plug by the passenger peg for the rear cylinder O2 sensor. Can anyone tell me where the plug is hiding for the front cylinder?

Also - I scored a used detachable backrest (OEM). I still need the mounting hardware. I took it to the dealer where the bike is to eyeball it against the fender struts and it doesn't look like it's going to fit. I think it's bent. The inside measurement at the bracket is 11 3/4" at the front and 11 1/4" at the back (where the quick release clips are). Can anyone with this same detachable backrest give me their measurements? I assume they're supposed to be equal (at 11 1/2" maybe?)

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'll post pictures when I take possession of the thing. I'm sure to have more questions from there!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:56 AM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Thunnus, the O2 bungs on my pipes are near where the header pipe mounts to the exhaust port on the head. The ones on my short shots are welded up, as I have a carbureted motor, and the new exhaust came off of an 07 that was injected so I ordered some bung plugs off e-bay instead of welding the new pipes. The bung plugs were only 11.95 and free shipping. Checked with the local Harley dealer and they didn't have any.

Check right up near the top of the head pipe and you should see a little port on it that is where the O2 sensor mounts. I think you might be looking at the bracket where the front pipe joins the rear pipe. Hard to explain, maybe someone else can help out.

I can take a picture of mine and post it later today.
I to am taking off some V&H short Shots and replaceing with stock exhausts, as I am trying to keep what little hearing I have left
Hope this helps, hey and welcome to the Forum.

Last edited by Chaffeekid; 07-12-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:49 AM
thunnus
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Chaffeekid. I really appreciate it!

I didn't ask my question clearly enough. I was looking for the spot in the wiring harness where the O2 sensors plug in - and I think I've got that part figured out. The front plug in the harness is hiding behind the voltage regulator (I think). But it might not matter. Here's why:

Since the guy has removed the O2 sensors, I think he had to use a cobra fuel processor that is designed specifically for use without the sensors. So my plan is to put bungs in my stock exhaust where the O2 sensors would be and hopefully adjust the cobra processor to address any running issues that may come from changing the exhaust.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for the reply!

Old 07-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, Great, glad you got her figured out. A good investment is a service manual for your year and make of Harley, you will never regret the purchase.
Ride Safe.