Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Deluxe build

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:47 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts
Default 2015 Deluxe build

A little back story. As I said on here a couple of times, the Deluxe is the bike I should have gotten. Last year I walked into the dealer just to look at one and they didn't have any but they had a bike I'd never seen or even heard of before, the Breakout. The BO made me forget all about the Deluxe and a few hours later it was mine. As the next year went by I added some stuff here and there to improve the look and make it my own but it never really excited me. The wow factor wore off pretty quick. It wasn't until I was at ROT Rally in June that I decided I was done with it. I must have seen 20 Breakouts (they're still rather rare) and they all looked the same. Even some that were heavily modded just looked alright. But I must have seen 200 Deluxes and not one looked the same. They just have IMO so much more personality than a lot of other HDs. Anyways I determined I bought the wrong bike, impulse buy whatever. Well 2 weeks ago I went into the same dealer and they paid off the BO and ordered me a 15 Morocco Gold Deluxe. It was 1 of only 2 left in the state. I absolutely love that color. It looked great on the BO and looks even better on the Deluxe. Delivered it to my house two days later and I couldn't have been more excited. I was out in my cul de sac in my boxers looking it over before the delivery guy left.
Right after delivery

Im a sucker for the "Vicla" "SoCal" look and fell in love with it the first time I saw a Deluxe in that style. So my route was set and off I went. I decided I want to go ***** out right out of the gate and gather parts quick and get them on even quicker. At least the big items anyways. I could spend a lifetime adding chrome pieces and little odds and ends to this bike and I plan to do that. This is a progression by the way. I am in no means done with this bike
So first things first was exhaust, air cleaner and a tuner. I cant believe how quiet these things are from the factory. I didn't want to wait on Samsons so I ended up with Bassani 36" true duals, fish tails of course. I went with baffles and I must say I like the way they sound. A lot louder but a tame loud. They really sound good. When it came to the air cleaner I decided on a Roland Sands chrome turbine air cleaner. Im a fan of his stuff even though I think a ton of it is way over priced. Well it turned out awesome and looks great.

For a tuner I had a Power Vision with my BO so I kept it, paid the $199 to un-marry it (which is a BS fee if you ask me) and installed a map a good guy on here by the name of LADog had made for my BO. Let me tell you the Deluxe runs damn good with that map. I don't think I'll have to adjust anything. If you read this thread thanks again Dog.
Next up was some lighting. I had Custom Dynamics leds on my Nightster and my BO. They make a great product so naturally they were going on the Deluxe. I ordered a pair of 1157s for the front, 1156s for the rear and a tombstone for the stop light. They look great. Day time pic doesn't do them justice but you get the point. Don't mind the nasty garage it has since been cleaned up lol

Just for the record the bike is like a week old at this point and only had maybe 45 miles on it.

I had to do something with those bars so naturally with the look Im going for I had to go with apes. I love Carlini bars. I went back and forth with every ape they make, googling as many pics as I could find of each one on a Deluxe and I narrowed it down to the Menace and Gangsters. I found a Deluxe on here it was a red one with the Menace apes and it looked badass. I found plenty with the Gangsters and they all looked great. After much debate I ended up going with the Gangsters. While the Menace apes looked awesome the bend ended up being to much for me and I think the roundness of the curves on the Gangsters flow with the Deluxe more than the sharper angles of the Menace. I settled on the 1.25" 16" Gangsters with a set of Carlini diamond 1.25" risers. Went ahead and ordered some new grips also. Im a bigger guy at 6'2" 225lbs so I think the 16's will be just right.

I then ordered a Magnum Shielding Sterling Chromite 2 cable kit for the new bars.

Now let me say I am very mechanically inclined. Have tons of other toys I work on and have built several internally combustible things lol. But when it comes to electrical stuff like cutting and splicing or soldering etc. Im a complete moron and have no confidence in my abilities. I usually turn to pro's for that kind of stuff. So in this case Im having my dealer do the bar and cable install.
While at the dealer this past Saturday talking to them about the bar install I inquired about wheels. After about an hour I ended up buying a set of RideWright 50 spokes. I went 21x3.5 front and 16x3.5 rear along with new Avon Cobra white walls. I figured I'd go ahead and go through the dealer for that stuff incase there were any issues with spacers and what not they would have everything needed to do a clean install. No pictures of those yet since they had to be ordered.
Today I ordered a chrome pulley cover from HD for my stock pulley. In the grand scheme of things another $400 for a new billet chrome pulley isn't really a lot but man I have an issue paying that much for that part. Seen tons of guys on here with the covers and they look great.
I new the 21" wheel was going to raise the bike so I knew some lowering was in order. Today I also ordered the Progressive 2" drop in springs and the Softail Lowering kit for the rear. I know everyone is going to say go with a Shotgun for the rear but like the pulley I cant talk myself into spending that much for that part. One day further down the road when I got some cash burning a hole then I'll get it. I had the Softail lowering kit on my BO and was happy with it so it should serve its purpose here for a while.

For now that's all I got. The bars and wheels are all getting installed next week on the 22nd. They said they would need the bike for 2 days so I hope to have it back by the 24th. By then I'll have all the lowering pieces and install those myself. Im making a list of smaller pieces now to add for future updates and will get to those as the FedEx man comes and goes.

I want to thank a lot of the other guys on here that have done this type of style with their bikes and posted about them and their parts and progression etc. I've gotten a ton of ideas and look forward to presenting a good finished product equal to some of the bikes I've seen on here.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Cool

WoWzer! Very nice indeed.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:13 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks like you are heading in the right direction! Looking great so far. Keep us posted.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Looking good! Gotta agree with ya on the Deluxe. I have a Heritage...needed certain aspects of the Heritage for several reasons...but I have done quite a bit on it to make it look like a Deluxe.

Nice work!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Katienadine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet lookin bike. Great color

Old 07-15-2015, 04:57 AM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Man, this was like watching a kickass show on TV and BAM...to be continued! Nnnoooo! Lol...oh well. She's going to look awesome. I, too, like the Vicla look on bikes and thinking about going that route with my Heritage.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM
proraptor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see so many of these "vicla" style softails in socal that when I bought my heritage I promised myself I wouldnt go that direction....Ive been against the grain since

Old 07-15-2015, 12:01 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior

I love the style and if I lived in Cali I might be burnt out on it also but you hardly see any of that style around here. Ive never seen any out on the roads just a few at some shows.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:16 PM
proraptor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgos929
I love the style and if I lived in Cali I might be burnt out on it also but you hardly see any of that style around here. Ive never seen any out on the roads just a few at some shows.
Out here in Cali every single dang softail you see is vicla style and if they arent riding that they are riding a blacked out street glide haha

Old 07-15-2015, 03:48 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by proraptor
they are riding a blacked out street glide haha

Exactly the reason I wont get a glide. Everybody and their mother has one. Don't see a lot of Deluxes around here especially in that style.

Quick Reply: 2015 Deluxe build