Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intalled DK Customs drop in LED bulb in my Slim

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Looks like a good option, the only downside of my Trucklite is that it's so directional that it's dim on the side view to oncoming cars...not good. But at night it's amazingly good.

Do you have any pics at night compared to your old bulb, similar to the ones I took here? Would love to see it as your option is a huge savings over the Trucklite and I'd like to refer it to friends.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...cs-inside.html

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Here is the factory bulb low beam:

Factory bulb high beam:

Trucklite low beam:

Trucklite high beam:

Old 07-22-2015, 12:56 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Looks like a good option, the only downside of my Trucklite is that it's so directional that it's dim on the side view to oncoming cars...not good. But at night it's amazingly good.

Do you have any pics at night compared to your old bulb, similar to the ones I took here? Would love to see it as your option is a huge savings over the Trucklite and I'd like to refer it to friends
No I did not take any pics like that but I will say that this bulb is not very directional. It lights up the sides of the road very good...great for spotting deer and other animals, not so good for oncoming traffic.
I had to adjust my headlight down a good bit to keep from blinding people. When I adjusted the light (as per service manual) the hot spot was well above centerline. I think part of this was because I lowered the back of the bike which probably aimed the light a bit higher.
After adjusting to manual spec my view of the road and shoulders actually improved, have not been flashed by oncoming traffic since adjustment either.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

That bulb looks a lot like the LED bulb I got from Fuel Moto. I installed it on my 11 RK and it's a (no pun intended) night and day difference.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:42 PM
proraptor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel moto bulb is also the same one that they are selling on amazon for $25

Old 07-25-2015, 11:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Not all bulbs that look the same are the same...

nor are the companies selling them the same...wholesale or retail.

We had bulbs that looked identical on the outside, but many did not survive our testing phase.

We tested dozens of different bulbs, both halogen and LED, over an 8 month period.

Here is a LINK to what we found to be the best value for drop-in bulbs.

The Daymaker from HD is the best light we tested...but at $500 it is 7 times the price of one that, in our on-the-road-experience, is 90% as good.

Here are a few pics for those interested in side-by-side comparisons-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-25-2015, 11:53 PM
IrIeSpringer420
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intalled DK Customs drop in LED bulb in my Slim

Nice! I know what im buying next

Old 07-26-2015, 02:12 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

DK thanks for that post. Your bulb has the nighttime benefit of my Trucklite without the detriment of the limited side visibility of my bulbs.

I wish I'd seen these before I bought my Trucklite.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:06 AM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I installed a LED bulbs in my 2010 Heritage and finally got an opportunity to do some nite time driving. What a difference, it lit up the road without hampering the oncoming traffic. I got the idea of getting LED lighting from my wife's 2014 Deluxe. I couldn't believe the coverage on the road and the white light is so much better. Of course, I didn't want to spend the big money on the Daymaker light so the alternative was to just replace the bulb. At less that half the price I am impressed.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:34 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by proraptor
just for your information all this stuff comes from china, you can get this bulb a lot cheaper from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
First of all the bulbs might look the same but their quality isn't and we have no way of knowing it until after the purchase.I trust our sponsors to be honest with their depiction of the item they're selling, therefore I will always prefer them over an unknown e-bay seller.This Forum wouldn't be here without their sponsorship.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:54 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by luisan
First of all the bulbs might look the same but their quality isn't and we have no way of knowing it until after the purchase.I trust our sponsors to be honest with their depiction of the item they're selling, therefore I will always prefer them over an unknown e-bay seller.This Forum wouldn't be here without their sponsorship.
I agree 100%. While I have got some good deals on ebay, I have also got junk.

Quick Reply: Intalled DK Customs drop in LED bulb in my Slim