Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretched Fender, with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Matt05
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lower for sure

Old 07-27-2015, 05:00 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Higher for sure. I hate the "tail between the legs" look. I'd actually slam the suspension (take the front nuts off) to ensure that when hitting a bump it won't touch the inside of the fender, and then stretch it right down to a fraction of an inch above the ground. But I'd definitely have it come back more rather than follow the wheel around. Can't believe so many prefer that look.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:05 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Lower it and I say keep the hinge if you want to. Gives it a vintage look and feel...

Old 07-27-2015, 04:05 PM
racerkvn
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Aesthetically, I like how the fender looks at the higher position. The lower radius of the fender looks better to me pointing more rearward versus pointing more downward in the lower position. That may change once you blend the top two radius' of both fender sections together though. I like the idea of the hinge, It adds an element of cool that you don't see very often today. The problem with the hinge is if you plan to rack up the miles on it the vibration will eventually crack the paint because it's essentially 3 surfaces (two hinge halves and a hinge pin) with about .015"-.030" gap, depending on the hinge you use, that will vibrate and rub together.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:00 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 8ntsane
At this point, I could make it hinged, though more work that might be well worth the trouble. I don't have a lift table with a removable panel to drop the wheel out, and have no intention in getting one.
Will your jack go high enough to get the wheel out?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:49 AM
Beltdriven
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default streched fender

I like the higher look and easier over speed bumps.The hinged fender would be a nice touch and convenient.Never say never to the lift table-it would be a big help fitting up any project you take on.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM
8ntsane
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts.
I have looked at as many pics I could find with the hinged fender. At the moment I,m thinking I should walk away from that idea. From what I have seen so far, lots of chipped off paint, and by the looks of it, those hinged fenders didn't seem to fit together that good anyway. I guess it would have a lot to do with how old the bike is.
I think I can deal with pulling the fender, if need be.

Its a good thing that I cut both these fenders, and left extra material on both so I could move things around. Moving things alittle, can change the look a lot. I have also decided that Im going to position the fender somewhere between the hi & low positions shown in the pics at the start of this thread. I do like the really low look, but this bike does not have a air ride to lift it going over speed bumps and such. The new Paughco exhaust hangs quite abit lower than my previous dual setup with the cross over. So, if this system scrapes the ground, it will only do minor damage to the fishtails. The fender on the other hand, if mounted low could easily be trashed.

So at this point, the hinge is out. The fender is going roughly at mid point between the hi & low pics posted previously. I will post up some new pics of the new position in a few days when I get back into this. I just gotta roll this thing out in the driveway so I can get a better view of the new positions. Then I can get on with the trimming off the excess and final welding.

Thanks guys for posting your thoughts on this project. If anyone has any more comments, Id like to hear them.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:49 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

I'm more old school....i like the vintage 'hinge' look.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 AM
truckin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep it low in tucked in, you'll be fine with ground clearance like your pic

Old 07-29-2015, 08:02 AM
LowRider68
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you want to hinge it? A stretched fender looks best clean! Bite the bullet and buy the Shotgun Shocks.

I stretched my fender 6 1/2" with not clearance problems.

Quick Reply: Stretched Fender, with a few questions