Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2015 softail.slim review

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Slim Chris
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2015 softail.slim review

After 300 miles this week I have some initial impressions.
1. It is well balanced and handles really well. It's really low but I'm 5'8 and it fits me perfectly.
2. Heel to toe shifter. After I adjusted it just right I really like it.depending on how you want to set it up it can adjusted anyway you want.
3. Seat . I love the look of the seat. With that said I need to add gel pads or something because it's not good for long trips. After 2 hours my rear was numb.
4. Heat. There is an exposed section of the engine between the seat and the tank where there's nothing between you and the engine. Wow the heat that comes off of that had my leg wet from the heat. I'm looking for some that help with this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Future mods. Vance and Hines big radius or short shots. No sure yet and comments appreciated .gel pad or some type of seat insert black primary cover.

Current Mods. Harley davidson etched white walls and blacked out forks ad mirrors.

Attached Thumbnails My 2015 softail.slim review-img_4647.jpg   My 2015 softail.slim review-img_4648.jpg  

Last edited by Slim Chris; 08-02-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 08-04-2015, 02:11 AM
hellboundslim
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking bike!! I went with the straight shots slip ons on mine, and have been happy with them. I havent heard any solutions on the heat issue, not that I have looked.
As for the seat issue, after 2600 km, I have had enough. Mine is going to Mean City Cycles for a treatment. look em up, they have a few options, although be fore warned, add +$75 due to the way our seats are made.
Mind sharing how much the black front end set you back?
Enjoy the bike!

Picture of the straight shots:

Old 08-04-2015, 03:36 AM
Slim Chris
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem . Parts cost around $550 What are you doing to your seat? Can you post pics when its done.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:37 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Captn itch crotch cooler for the heat issue. Hes a site sponsor so look him up.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by hellboundslim
Nice looking bike!! I went with the straight shots slip ons on mine, and have been happy with them. I havent heard any solutions on the heat issue, not that I have looked.
As for the seat issue, after 2600 km, I have had enough. Mine is going to Mean City Cycles for a treatment. look em up, they have a few options, although be fore warned, add +$75 due to the way our seats are made.
Mind sharing how much the black front end set you back?
Enjoy the bike!
Yeah... three different material finishes on the front end... Duh... all black would be my first change. Pipes are dumb just like the Fat Boy's... unless you never plan on having a passenger. They shouldn't even put passenger pegs on a Slim or a Fat Boy... unless you enjoy polishing off boot marks.

I put waffle gel inside my seat... cost 35 bucks (I paid for the gel) at an upholstery shop. Works great! Then I bought on super sale a stock HD upgraded seat... there's a BIG difference between stock and what you can get from HD. Don't ignore the HD upgrade... that's their business model, unfortunately. "Upgrade" to get what it should have been in the first place... they like to call that "customizing"... so then sell it without your stock junk on the bike is what I think.

Good to see the review.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:50 PM
slim_powers
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Seconding the Captain Itch crotch cooler recommendation. I unfortunately put another HD seat on my Slim where the bar in the front is VERY short, and it pops out if I have the cooler on it, so be aware of that issue. It is a necessity on this bike, for sure.

I had gel and better foam put in my stock solo seat at Laconia but it's still uncomfortable. I'd recommend an aftermarket seat for more comfort, especially if you don't want a 2-up or passenger pillion.

LOVE the white walls. You've solidified my decision to put white wall tires on my Slim when the time comes.

Edited to add that I have V&H staggered Short Shots on my Slim (previous owner put them on). I want something quieter eventually but they sound great (LOUD though).

Last edited by slim_powers; 08-04-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:43 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Add an air cleaner and give it a good Stage 1 tune.
I went with a V&H FuelPak 3 and it lowered engine/oil temps significantly...

Old 08-04-2015, 09:00 PM
virtualpj
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jam436
Add an air cleaner and give it a good Stage 1 tune.
I went with a V&H FuelPak 3 and it lowered engine/oil temps significantly...
That was going to be my suggestion as well. A good tune will help with the temps.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:59 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

For the heat issue, I had the dealer install the harley deflector, as part of deal, seat I went with the factory seat from the blackline.
Pipes I have short shots staggered they are loud, they were on the bike when purchased, thinking a VH pro pipe, or Bassani road rage 2-1. for an exhaust change.

Last edited by rowan; 08-04-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:51 PM
slim_powers
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by virtualpj
That was going to be my suggestion as well. A good tune will help with the temps.
Is the tune a stealership thing or can you do it yourself? And do you need to put the bike on the Dyno?

Quick Reply: My 2015 softail.slim review