Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mid controls on softail

Old 08-17-2015, 08:42 PM
mrodff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mid controls on softail

if this has been discussed in the past i missed it. I'm interested in putting mid controls on my 03 deuce, after having a street bob i feel more in control on my bike that with forward controls. not a fan of the stretched legs, looks to me like one bad move and theyre going down to the ground. has anyone put mids on their bike? in the dyna it goes through the primary. i will eventually do an open primary which will make it easier for mids.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:10 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default mid controls on softail

Exile cycles

Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

here is the thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ming-boys.html

BTW... I made my own mid controls... but it can be done with bolt-on parts.. Alain can probably tell you exactly how much it costs to do it with bolt-on parts.. I imagine is in the $1500 - $2000 range... I hope it helps and happy riding!

Old 08-18-2015, 07:47 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey now !!! Mids on a softail frame you say? Sure can be done.

Like Joe said, he made his own set up. I went with the exile kit. The kit was around $600 for the frame mounts (where your mids actually mount to) and a new rear master cylinder which bolts right underneath the transmission side cover.

You could train a monkey to do the install on those two parts.

You mention you are going to an open primary so that takes care of the left side of the bike, otherwise all you need is dyna primary covers with the opening for the shifter to go through them. I have those covers sitting in my garage, bought them used waiting to go on the bike. Obviously you'll also need the shifting linkage from a dyna, these parts are cheap so that's easy to get.

The only major issue you'll probably run into while trying to do this job is having clearance problems with your exhaust and the mid controls. I have V&H big radius 2-2 and it will not work.

Good news is that there are plenty of exhaust options out there that will give you the room and clearance to run the mids. Or you can do what I did, have an exhaust custom made. Dealing with his exhaust problem was the most expensive part of my project.

Here's a pic of exile's frame mounts and rear master cylinder. Well made product and Russell is a good dude to deal with.

Attached Thumbnails mid controls on softail-image.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a picture of how the frame mounts look under the bike once installed on my rocker.

I'm not running the set up yet because I'm still waiting on the exhaust to be finished.

You'll also need a new kick stand, that's an easy problem to solve, I went with the Arlen Ness satand and no problems so far.

RSD/PM makes a set up as well but be prepared to drop some serious coin for that. Great quality but damn pricey.

I think it's a kick *** mod cause when you roll through, those people who know enough will be scratching their heads wondering how you got mids on a stock HD softail frame (without welding anything). Plus you'll probably be the only one with them on hahaha.

Attached Thumbnails mid controls on softail-image.jpg  

Last edited by Alain; 08-18-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:37 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have seen ids on a Softail, and with a bobber look, it really fits and looks great.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:12 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dang, mine feels like mid's now. I can't imagine bringing them further under me. But, as shown above - there are options. That's the great things about Harley's - You can make them your own.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi,
I've been wanting to do this to my 09 FXSTC ever since seeing the kit sold by Exile.

Over the last 18 months I've been sourcing parts from eBay and bought the outer primary cover, mid controls and foot pegs.
Purchased the Exile Mount kit last month and started on the bike last weekend.

So far I have the fitted the mount kit, new rear master cylinder, and mid controls to the right side.
Had a sit on the bike and for me it is much more comfortable.

The inner primary cover is also off ready and waiting for me to drill out the resin plug which I'll be doing tomorrow.

Removing the inner primary wasn't too difficult but I was surprised how much had to be removed to access the starter motor bolts, the battery, battery caddy, rear fender and oil tank all had to be taken off!

Hopefully I'll have the Mids all done by Sunday afternoon.

That just leaves me to sort out a new brake hose and pressure switch, new kick stand and a new exhaust - I too have a V&H Twin Radius set of pipes that just won't fit with the Mids.

Think I'll get the Freedom Performance High Outlaw exhaust - just need to run the idea past the wife.

Last edited by Gaz B; 01-15-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Mids and rear master cylinder fitted

Attached Thumbnails mid controls on softail-image.jpeg  
Old 01-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Putting mids on a Deuce is like asking for tea or milk in a bar. Just trade for a better handling Dyna. Mids is not going to make the Deuce handle better. If you want to fill more secure, put a fwd control with spurs on the Deuce.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mid controls on softail