Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE 110 kit for 96 no case maching required

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:33 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Default SE 110 kit for 96 no case maching required

A new SE 110 kit for 96 that doesn't require any case machining was released today at the LA Harley convention apart of their new parts lineup looks like it's going to be a hot buy.

Is there any SE dealers out there that can give me their best price when they receive information on this product? I'm seriously interested in the barrels and Pistons

Old 08-25-2015, 06:06 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default SE 110 kit for 96 no case maching required

Sounds very interesting but will it work for an 88" or is the crank wrong? Time to do some research.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:49 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chrome-dome-dave
Sounds very interesting but will it work for an 88" or is the crank wrong? Time to do some research.
Hey Dave you won't find any info on the web just yet I don't think, as it was only just released at a dealers convention today, not to the public yet. But Im guessing HD will start putting it out there sometime starting tomorrow to the next week or so. When the representives that went to this convention from your local dealer returns to their shop, you could go find out the details

my dealer said it was only for the 96 and 103

Old 08-25-2015, 07:01 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,163 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Harley's site shows the kit for $2,195 not including labor. Dealers are going to be pretty much in line with that price. If you do find it discounted, it will be 10% to 15% at most.

I may be wrong, but I think there are cheaper ways to accomplish the same thing.

Aftermarket, such as S&S or Branch O'Keefe, may offer something similar for less or perhaps the same or slightly more money with much better results.

The kit you are asking about comes with Screamin Eagle 255 cams. I know they are not the most popular choice on this forum.

The screamin eagle that is nit bolt on, the stage iii kit, is $1,849 and produces much more power.

I am not sure about the specifics of each kit, but here is what I know. if you have two engines of the same displacement, in the same state of tune and set ups, but one is small bore with a long stroke and the other is large bore with short stroke, their characteristics will be very different. The short stroke will rev higher and produce more horsepower, especially in the upper rpm's, at the expense of some torque at the lower rpm's. The long stroke one will not rev as high and will produce more torque, especially at the rpm's, at the expense of horsepower in the upper rpm's. Crotch rockets often have ten or fifteen thousand rpm red lines and produce impressive horsepower at those crazy rpm's, but their low rpm torque is not that great. Harley's, especially older bikes, have redlined somewhere around five to seven thousand rpm's, with lots of torque available at the low rpm's but less horsepower than would normally be expected at the higher rpm's.

When the TC88 came out, they eventually admitted they had lost some of their sound and feel of yesteryear. The bore to stroke ratio had changed. The 96" on up bikes have gotten some of that back, but still isn't quite the same.

Probably more information than you really wanted. Never mind me. Just the ramblings of a silver beard Evo.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior

I think you may be looking at the 110 kit that requires machining? I didn't think it would be on their website just yet as it was only show cased to dealers yesterday

I have cams 103 barrels forged Pistons, 11:1 comp, fully worked heads and TB, bigger injectors etc etc and I haven't had it tuned or even stared yet. So I was wanting just the 110 barrels and high Comp pistons for some more cubes.

So if I can just get the barrels and pistons, I think those extra cubes with my current setup will be good bang for buck

Last edited by Ink83; 08-25-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:09 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

How can a 110 bore fit in a 96/103 case?? 107ci is max..right?

Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Nope not any more. They've made a 110 to fit 96/103 wth no case machining. It hasn't been released to the public yet as far as I know. I'm thinkoing they've had to of done something with the Pistons. I've got pics of the kit on the display

Last edited by Ink83; 08-25-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:09 AM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by Ink83
Nope not any more. They've made a 110 to fit 96/103 wth no case machining. It hasn't been released to the public yet as far as I know. I'm thinkoing they've had to of done something with the Pistons. I've got pics of the kit on the display
I think this is it.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...18-92500033--1

That is an awful lot of money for five more horsepower and ten pound feet of torque if I am looking at that dyno chart correctly.

It seems like that kind of gain could be had with a good set of pipes, air cleaner, and tune. Add a cam and it results should be even better.

Maybe I am looking at the chart wrong? The kit is Pistons, jugs, cams, etc. and has only that little gain?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:19 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

That's with pretty low compression and by the looks that dyno chart is with the stock 103 TB and most likely stock pipes. that would severely limit any head and cube displacement upgrade. If you can get these Pistons in a high compression version, them pistons and barrels into an existing stage 4 103 setup (for example) would have to yeild some decent gains

All I'm interested in is barrels and pistons for my existing setup, but only if they come in a high comp version. If they don't, then its waste of time

Last edited by Ink83; 08-26-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:11 AM
Prot
Club Member

I am not as familiar with twin cams as I am older bikes, but this is what has always gotten the best bang for the buck, especially Evo's.

Low restriction air cleaner. The Screamin Eagle kits are actually pretty good.
Properly tuned exhaust system. Open drag pipes produce worse results than stock. Usually smaller diameter pipes going into a large muffler work well and sound good at the same time. Appropriately baffled of course.
Rejetted carburetor. Dyno jet kits work good in cv carbs. S&S and Mikuni are also good choices.
Andrews EV13 or EV27 work great for almost everyone. Other brands with similar grinds / profiles also work well.
For a mild build, milling a small amount of material from the heads to bump the compression makes the difference between being good to being great. Extensive head work such as re shaped combustion chambers and fancy valve work costs too much for a mild build but are needed to get beyond the mild build.
Aftermarket ignition module such as dynatek for a better timing advance curve.

Evo's see pretty big gains with just those few mods. I would assume the same principles apply to twin cams, with one of the advantages being that a twin cam engine already has bath tub shaped combustion chambers.

I think it would be worth doing a comparison to S&S kits, fuel moto packages, and Hilsdale. That bolt on kit from HD sure seems like a lot of money for what can be achieved without opening up the engine.

It seems like the Andrews 26H cam is a solid performer in the low to mid rpm's which is where most people ride most of the time. People have a tendency to go with too much of an extreme cam that only works at or near the redline and they do not match it with components that compliment it. The 26H is a bolt in cam. It also seems like accuracy of cam timing as well as reliability can be improved with gear drive cams.

What most people are craving is better top gear roll on, improved passing power, more power going up a steep grade, and more low end end for a better launch from a red light, as well as quicker and better throttle response.

Quick Reply: SE 110 kit for 96 no case maching required