Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slim Suspension advise please

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:58 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Slim Suspension advise please

I have a 2014 Slim that I have set up for the long haul with Mustang seat, backrest, floorboards and a fairing. It's great for solo running but for two up it's a bit rough. The suspension just doesn't support us enough and we bottom out on harsh bumps.
We don't have this problem on my stock 03 Fatboy. So I'm sure it's because of the shorter shock on the Slim. So I'm looking to smooth out the ride for two up running on the Slim.

My thoughts are;
Progressives 422 or 422 with Remote Adjustable Preload
Custom Cycles Control Systems SAS-00.
Shotgun
Legends L3

Can I please get some reviews from any of you that have used either of these as a solo and two up ride?

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,163 Likes on 6,216 Posts
Default Slim Suspension advise please

I went through a couple of sets of progressive 422's on my Heritage.

I thought about an air system briefly but did not want the complexity etc.

I ended up with Works Performance. They cost a lot more than progressive but less than an air system.

Can't you just simply adjust what you currently have when you want to ride two up? I've never messed with a Slim, but most softails use a set up very similar to each other.

To me, a slim is kind of a small bike, especially for two up. To each his own though.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:14 PM
FLSlim
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Slim comes with the shocks set factory for 180 lbs solo rider. with 2 up and much more weight you need to adjust them if you need more stiffness.Of course when you solo its going to rock you around tad more but You do have a few more ticks of the shocks to increase the stiffness before you decide to rip them out.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:20 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you checked the setting on the bike, I was bottoming out and at my 1000 mile check up the dealer I brought it to said one was set at the lowest setting and the other was one number up.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:22 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Shotgun.
Went cruising with my wife riding b!tch last weekend and felt like a Lexus. I even have the bumpstop removed, but my bike just rolls over all bumps like they aren't even there.
Wifey doesn't like the stock two-up seat (makes her @$$ hurt), but that has nothing to do with the suspension...she just needs to firm up those cheeks. haha.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:41 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Prot
I went through a couple of sets of progressive 422's on my Heritage.

I thought about an air system briefly but did not want the complexity etc.

I ended up with Works Performance. They cost a lot more than progressive but less than an air system.

Can't you just simply adjust what you currently have when you want to ride two up? I've never messed with a Slim, but most softails use a set up very similar to each other.

To me, a slim is kind of a small bike, especially for two up. To each his own though.
I forgot about Works Performance. I've never used them. Thanks for the suggestion.
Is the Works better than the Progressives? If so can you tell me why?

As for size, the Heritage and the Slim are the same size. The difference is in the shock, seat and bars. The Slim has a smaller seat, even in the Mustang Seats.
After spending some days on the Slim with the Mustang seat made for the slim I wished I would of bought a Mustang seat made for a Fatboy/Heritage as they are a bit larger which might look a bit goofy on my Slim but after an 800 mile day I don't care what I look like.

I was on an Ultra before this Slim and was tossed between a Heritage or Slim as I just wanted to get back to something that fit my stub legs (28" inseam) better and the Slim fits me better plus I knew I was going to put a Memphis Shades fairing on whatever I went with and I don't care for the look of a fairing on Heritages.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:49 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLSlim
the Slim comes with the shocks set factory for 180 lbs solo rider. with 2 up and much more weight you need to adjust them if you need more stiffness.Of course when you solo its going to rock you around tad more but You do have a few more ticks of the shocks to increase the stiffness before you decide to rip them out.
Originally Posted by mo cajun
Have you checked the setting on the bike, I was bottoming out and at my 1000 mile check up the dealer I brought it to said one was set at the lowest setting and the other was one number up.
I haven't checked the settings but I'll take your suggestions and try it before I swap out the shocks.
My past experience on standard swingarm suspensions (Sporties & Dyna's) when I adjusted the shocks for two up they were fine but solo they were pretty stiff. Of course on the standard swingarm the shocks are easier to get to so adjustment only takes a few seconds so I could adjust quickly. The Sofatil takes a bit more to adjust.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:02 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Shotgun.
Went cruising with my wife riding b!tch last weekend and felt like a Lexus. I even have the bumpstop removed, but my bike just rolls over all bumps like they aren't even there.
Wifey doesn't like the stock two-up seat (makes her @$$ hurt), but that has nothing to do with the suspension...she just needs to firm up those cheeks. haha.
Interesting. Have you had any experience with other shocks on a softail to give a comparison between your Shotgun and another type?

Old 08-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I really like my 422 RAPs.
I've got them fine tuned so that I leave them set for 1 up and when the Wife rides I simply twist the dial 1.5 turns and all is well.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Mine were set at the softest from the factory and as already said, bottomed out with 110 lb wifey on the back. Adjusted the stock shocks about half way to maximum stiff and were now good to go. A little stiff when solo, but good enough cause I don t know any better.

Quick Reply: Slim Suspension advise please