Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question on wheel weights.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Square
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A question on wheel weights.

I bought my 04 Fatboy from a "Motorsports" dealer, not the HD dealer in town. Anyway, The bike came with two new tires installed. Since day one it has felt a little twitchy at freeway speeds on some roads, but not all. I've been playing with different tire pressures and seem to have made some improvements.

I noticed last night that there are no weights on the rims, front or back. Is it safe to assume then that they didn't balance the tires? Could this account for the twitchy feel on some stretches of road?

Thnx for your input.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:33 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Not impossible, but highly unlikely that both wheels on the same bike don't need just a small amount of balancing weight, and unlikely that the dealer used RideOn or Dyna Beads.

Take a look at using RideOn or Dyna Beads.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:46 PM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Dyna Beads

Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Ride-on!!!!!
works great

Old 08-30-2015, 10:46 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
Not impossible, but highly unlikely that both wheels on the same bike don't need just a small amount of balancing weight, and unlikely that the dealer used RideOn or Dyna Beads.

Take a look at using RideOn or Dyna Beads.
I would think it is highly unlikely that they would install wheels without balancing them. The Indy that mounts my tires uses Dyna beads. I would take it back to where you bought it and have them take a look. If the tires really aren't balanced I would think it would feel more than just a bit twitchy at highway speeds. Unbalanced wheels are usually very noticeable.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:24 PM
Square
Cruiser

Unless they can be put in via the valve stem I'd have to take it in to have it done. That's a joke... Perhaps, as was said the indy uses them, I'll call in the morning and ask. Thnx for the input.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:56 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

A "Motorsports" dealer knows how important a balanced tire is regardless of what the name on the tank says. It is possible that the previous owner had the tires put on by an inconfident and/or immoral indy before trading it in.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 AM
Square
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Next In Line
A "Motorsports" dealer knows how important a balanced tire is regardless of what the name on the tank says. It is possible that the previous owner had the tires put on by an inconfident and/or immoral indy before trading it in.
Possible, but the tires had what appeared to be zero miles. You know that new tire look, **** and all. Still possible given the low miles on the bike they could have been 6 months old and had 20 miles on them.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:02 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

You say its twitchy on some roads but not all. If it was a balance problem it would be consistant. My last rear wheel didnt require any weights which was a first for me.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:23 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My guess it has dyna beads also. I have used them for years now and they work great!

Quick Reply: A question on wheel weights.