Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$700 For Tank Lettering

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:01 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought a fair price would be $500. I know it's not easy but not everyone is rushing to spend that much money on tank lettering. Of course, I didn't speak to him directly so the Indy might be adding his share.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dansax
I thought a fair price would be $500. I know it's not easy but not everyone is rushing to spend that much money on tank lettering. Of course, I didn't speak to him directly so the Indy might be adding his share.
Personally, i would not go through a shop to get that done. I would want to talk to the guy, see some of his work, and discuss exactly what I am looking for...and from that you will know if he "gets it"...it always looks better when they get it....

just my .02

Old 08-31-2015, 12:23 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Sometimes it is cheaper to pay more.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:33 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by dansax
My Indy had a guy add a pinstripe to my wheels. I asked him to find out how much to have Harley Davidson painted on the tank in the vintage letters from 1930 or so. I was told the guy wants $700 because he has to make a stencil and such. Does that seem a little high?
Yes that's high.
No that's not high.
That seems about right.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as you're OK with the deal.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:43 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to use due diligence when going in for the lowest price on paint jobs.

As was stated earlier the cheapest route is not always the least expensive. This is definitely an area where you get what you pay for. Also as stated earlier check out the persons work and deal with them directly.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:31 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

As an "Art Guy" who makes his living with art, the value is about perception. If you get what you want and get a quality job, once it's paid for, you will admire the work and feel good about it. If you think it's worth it, then it is.

Now, on the flip side, if you go with the lowest bidder.....you still might be happy. But then again, you might not be. And then you will have that reminder every time you look at your bike.

Now there are a lot of people in the trade that charge a lot more than they should, and some do it so they don't have to work themselves to death, and the rate kinda weeds out the fence sitters.

No if you don't have that kind of budget, you can duplicate the logo you CAN get, have a sign shop adjust the colors to your liking and do as one of the previous posters said, and get it applied as a decal, then clear over it. After all, just because a piece of art exists doesn't mean it can't be altered!

Old 08-31-2015, 02:40 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

Holy crap...

Old 08-31-2015, 05:34 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
Holy crap...
Crap on a hat....

Old 09-01-2015, 06:07 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadblock_MN
Personally, i would not go through a shop to get that done. I would want to talk to the guy, see some of his work, and discuss exactly what I am looking for...and from that you will know if he "gets it"...it always looks better when they get it....

just my .02
I already had him do the pinstripe on my wheels, although I've never met him, my Indy uses him. Pinstriping and lettering are two different things though.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:09 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
As an "Art Guy" who makes his living with art, the value is about perception. If you get what you want and get a quality job, once it's paid for, you will admire the work and feel good about it. If you think it's worth it, then it is.

Now, on the flip side, if you go with the lowest bidder.....you still might be happy. But then again, you might not be. And then you will have that reminder every time you look at your bike.

Now there are a lot of people in the trade that charge a lot more than they should, and some do it so they don't have to work themselves to death, and the rate kinda weeds out the fence sitters.

No if you don't have that kind of budget, you can duplicate the logo you CAN get, have a sign shop adjust the colors to your liking and do as one of the previous posters said, and get it applied as a decal, then clear over it. After all, just because a piece of art exists doesn't mean it can't be altered!
When all is said and done sounds like more than $700. Nothing looks better than hand painted lettering. It's not the cost, I just don't want to get gouged because I just spent $1600 powder coating and they might think it's a free ticket. The painter charged $225 to pinstripe the wheels.

Last edited by dansax; 09-01-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Quick Reply: $700 For Tank Lettering