Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D*** Stick-on Wheel Balancer Weights

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:20 AM
mikale
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry D*** Stick-on Wheel Balancer Weights

Leaving a Supermarket last Friday heard this loud bang under the rear mudguard, (fender), thought it might be a stone/rock that I clipped with the rear tyre. Any way stopped at another supermarket in a town called Halstead, (Essex), to pick up my wifes painkillers, and got on the bike started it and there was a hell of a loud thump from the starter. The bike started but then roared upto 1600-1800 rpm. WTF! I thought it slowed down to normal tickover, (OH where has that potato, potato sound gone??) anyway, made my way home OK. Came up behind a lorry and had to slow down then the engine revs went up again for a few seconds and then went back to normal. Got home parked up and checked the DTC Codes, No1, P0507, No2, P1475, No3, P1632. The idle air control would be higher because of the over rev, No exhaust actuator, (removed because V&H Big Shots and Stage1 fitted and only the actuator plug is visible) and it looks like the Odometer is still learning, (joke). Looked around the bike for any damage and lo and behold most of the 'Stick-on' Balance weights on the rear wheel are missing. That must have been the loud bang under the rear mudguard. My point is Why Oh Why are Harley fitting these stick-ons onto laced wheels. I do hope they are not going back to the 80's days when parts kept falling off of HD's. Has anyone had any similar experiences with their new Softails??

Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Screw the weights.
Order "Ride-on".

http://www.ride-on.com/tire-balancer.html

Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I am running beads...no weights...and so far I have been impressed...

Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mikale
Leaving a Supermarket last Friday heard this loud bang under the rear mudguard, (fender), thought it might be a stone/rock that I clipped with the rear tyre. Any way stopped at another supermarket in a town called Halstead, (Essex), to pick up my wifes painkillers, and got on the bike started it and there was a hell of a loud thump from the starter. The bike started but then roared upto 1600-1800 rpm. WTF! I thought it slowed down to normal tickover, (OH where has that potato, potato sound gone??) anyway, made my way home OK. Came up behind a lorry and had to slow down then the engine revs went up again for a few seconds and then went back to normal. Got home parked up and checked the DTC Codes, No1, P0507, No2, P1475, No3, P1632. The idle air control would be higher because of the over rev, No exhaust actuator, (removed because V&H Big Shots and Stage1 fitted and only the actuator plug is visible) and it looks like the Odometer is still learning, (joke). Looked around the bike for any damage and lo and behold most of the 'Stick-on' Balance weights on the rear wheel are missing. That must have been the loud bang under the rear mudguard. My point is Why Oh Why are Harley fitting these stick-ons onto laced wheels. I do hope they are not going back to the 80's days when parts kept falling off of HD's. Has anyone had any similar experiences with their new Softails??
My local HD dealership uses the ones that attach to the spokes.

Consider using RideOn or Dyna Beads instead of weights.

Last edited by 1004ron; 08-31-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:44 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,235 Likes on 8,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Screw the weights.
Order "Ride-on".

Old 08-31-2015, 11:08 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Screw the weights.
Order "Ride-on".

This. I put Ride On in and took my weights off. Case closed.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:18 AM
mikale
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I wonder if it available in the UK. I will search and find out. As always you Americans get all the new stuff first. I am still waiting for my new TP-Link router, now I finally have Fibre Broadband. Please don't forget I live in a village, ( my wife and I call it the "Village of The Damned"), we have no anklebiters only 5 cats.
Thanks for the tip on that Ride On. Found the Ride On website and mighty impressed. Of course they have all 'Sold Out'. I will try and see if any UK dealers or motorcycle shops sell it.

Many thanks again for the tip.

Last edited by mikale; 08-31-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Found the website and I am impressed
Old 08-31-2015, 01:52 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by mikale
Nope and I will also agree with others, Ride On is duo purpose, it acts as a balancer and also repairs/plugs small air leaks.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:04 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I got tired of those weights flying off... dyna beads on my bikes... work great!

Old 08-31-2015, 02:11 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

Quick Reply: D*** Stick-on Wheel Balancer Weights