Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Emblem Fell Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:36 PM
Capt Woody
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tank Emblem Fell Off

So there I was, waiting on some traffic to clear out of the parking lot and my tank emblem falls off my 4-month old bike! Talk about embarrassing... Two of my buddies were right there, one on a 100th anniversary RK and one on a V-star, and were like, "What the hell was that?" as I stopped, dismounted, and retrieved it. As it fell, it bounced and I ran it over so it has nice little gravel pits in it. I'm going to ask that the local shop cleans up the gooey tape mess and replaces it. There's no reason this thing should have fallen off...

Is this typical? And should I ask that they replace it and I put it on with something better?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:40 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Yes I started a thread on this in March, one fell off and one was about to fall off. They know about this at Harley. Take it back to the dealer and they'll order you replacements under warranty. The old ones make nice garage decorations, I have 2 on my wall.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:49 PM
Capt Woody
Cruiser

Originally Posted by uklauren
Yes I started a thread on this in March, one fell off and one was about to fall off. They know about this at Harley. Take it back to the dealer and they'll order you replacements under warranty. The old ones make nice garage decorations, I have 2 on my wall.
Nice, thanks for the quick reply! I'm thinking I'll keep the good one for just that!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:05 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

It's crazy that they fell off, the dealer said they fell off their rental Heritages as well. Cheap Chinese glue I guess but it costs them in the end.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:09 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Tank Emblem Fell Off

That's crazy weird. I took them off my '13 Dyna and had to use braided fishing line and a heat gun. They were stuck really well.

They must have changed the type of double sided tape.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:25 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Yup, wife's dyna had the same problem. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:46 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

I love my Harley...but I bet $1000 bucks this never happens on a Japanese/Italian bike.

Pretty pathetic

Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Capt Woody
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
I love my Harley...but I bet $1000 bucks this never happens on a Japanese/Italian bike.

Pretty pathetic
Yeah, no kidding.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:06 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

We rented several '14 Heritages on the Big Island last winter and they were all missing their tank emblem. The dealer indicated that they had all fallen off and due to factory problems and the adhesive used on the emblems. Ron

Old 07-06-2018, 06:47 PM
Softail12!@
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike is just 4 years old and has been kept in a heated garage. I walked out yesterday morning and the tank emblem was on the garage floor. I thought, WTF? I don't know if I am more irritated about it falling off or the attitude of the dealership. They were no help (Earnie's HD in Algona, IA). We are moving to Alabama, so I think I am just going to leave it off and revisit the issue in Tuscaloosa.

Quick Reply: Tank Emblem Fell Off