Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike wouldn't start because of interference

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 AM
Webdude75
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Bike wouldn't start because of interference

Had a very strange situation last week while I was in Serbia touring around on my heritage softail.

I stopped to make a phone call in a city (Novi Sad), and then the key fob wouldn't work anymore to disable the alarm. Also, my bike won't let me enter my PIN (but that's another problem!).

There is 1 dealer in the whole of the country, so I call them, they say push the bike 50 yards down the road, it might work then. I try it. It doesn't work. 2 mechanics then drive over an hour to come meet me. They try the bike, nothing (also won't let them enter the PIN either). They tow the bike about 5 minutes out of the city, and everything works perfectly.

They say it's down to radio frequencies in the city that stop the bike from working, and that it happens a lot in Belgrade (whey they come from).

I then ride over to Belgrade to the dealer to fill out paperwork for the call out, and the guy in the shop said sometimes bikes don't start outside the front of their shop either. I decided to try mine, nothing. Dead again. So I push the bike to the underground workshop they have, and it works fine!

One of the most annoying, and strangest things i've had happen to the bike. God knows that frequencies they have shining throughout that country.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:00 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

Very strange indeed....

Old 09-01-2015, 09:46 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

More likely a problem with the key FOB, low battery etc.

The fact that you cannot use your PIN suggests that it may be a problem with your bike's security system.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:18 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

Sorta related... there is a parking lot for a store in my area, the fob for my car will not unlock the doors of my car in that parking lot. Apparently...some cars have had issues where they won't start there as well.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Speleo
Road Captain

Received 453 Likes on 179 Posts

Interesting Issue. I have witnessed the Homologation program that the HD Product development center applies to it's models. The bikes are generally designed so as not to be affected by spurious radio signals. Might want to pass that problem back to the design team in Milwaukee.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:34 PM
HImilou
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Never had that issue with my Evo...

Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

I had that exact issue when I parked close to a Home Depot. Trailered the bike to the local HD dealer. Fired right up when we got it off the trailer. Tech said he has seen the issue at several locations here. Nothing wrong with system, fob or battery, simply electronic interference. Strange, indeed.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Webdude75
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting to hear it's happened to others, and also in America. I imagined theres a rating that European Union countries have to stick with, and Serbia doesnt so they are letting out god knows what!

1004ron you mentioned the battery, that was my first thought also. Tried 2 new batteries, and had no effect at all. Was purely down to some odd interfierence - and as for entering the pin, it doesnt work at all. I have the feeling i'm doing something wrong, but when turning the ignition on and holding the signal switches, nothing happens.

Cheers

Old 09-01-2015, 05:19 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep, that's a problem I don't need. Glad I own an old 02 Fatboy. No FOB or throttle on a wire. The only thing to worry about is the cam chain shoes and they're still about 85% at 24,000 miles. Ride on.....

Old 09-01-2015, 06:27 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Webdude75
1004ron you mentioned the battery, that was my first thought also. Tried 2 new batteries, and had no effect at all. Was purely down to some odd interfierence - and as for entering the pin, it doesnt work at all. I have the feeling i'm doing something wrong, but when turning the ignition on and holding the signal switches, nothing happens.

Cheers
Do you have the owners manual - there's a tear-out tab with the PIN instructions to keep in your wallet.

The odd report of such issues with the HD security system would most certainly not deter me from using mine, and the PIN override is there for the unlikely event that the FOB fails.

Last edited by 1004ron; 09-01-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Bike wouldn't start because of interference