Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Series - Home Base

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:13 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,260 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by wachuko
Good to know. Time to find a rain sock we can install over air cleaner....
Outerwears will probably be cheaper than the HD version...

hope this helps,

T.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:47 AM
KYfishtail
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rider
Used a 1/8" steel bar 1" wide with a 2" offset bend to attach the ammo can (at two points) to the forward docking bolt on the bike's right side. Didn't foresee the amount of wind/road vibration the ammo can would incur. Had to keep re-tightening the docking bolt, using plenty of thread locker. Just wouldn't hold. Poor design on my part. The new mount is basically a flat 1/4" aluminum plate, shaped to attach at both docking bolts. The ammo can is attached to the plate at three points with 2" spacers in between. Very solid & no vibration. I can add photos when I get home if you'd like. P.S. With a little over 4,000 miles on my FLSS, I've had to replace 3 turn signal/brake bulbs already. Anyone else having bulb/electrical issues?
I had to replace both tail light lamps within six months after purchasing a new Slim. After I replaced the OEM Stanley bulbs with a different brand, things have been fine.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:56 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rider
Another FYI. Got caught in heavy rains in Tennessee on Nov 18th to the extent that my engine started sputtering and cutting out. Pulled off interstate and made it to the canopy of a motel entrance. Took off the air cleaner and found the filter completely water clogged, and dripping (engine started and ran fine without it). Borrowed a hair dryer from the motel and spent 15 minutes drying out the air filter. Never had this happen on my other bikes, but they didn't have forward-facing openings on the air cleaners. By the time I re-installed the cleaner, the rain had slackened to a normal drizzle and the bike ran fine.
Yes. It happened to me ONCE. So I bought the HD Smooth cover in chrome, had it powder coated and fixed the problem.

Forgive the filthiness. It's been raining off and on for the last couple weeks. The bike now gets through it like it should.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:10 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by KYfishtail
I had to replace both tail light lamps within six months after purchasing a new Slim. After I replaced the OEM Stanley bulbs with a different brand, things have been fine.
The Custom Dynamics LED clusters fix this issue while also making your lights much more visible. Expensive at $80, but a much better application in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

ONe of the first mods I did was put Custom Dynamics LEDs front and rear. They are not only rattle proof compared to tungsten bulbs, they are MUCH brighter. I never had any water issues with the stock Rushmore air cleaner on my Road Glide, not like open element cleaners. A rain sock is an absolute must on those. Water doesn't compress nicely like air does in the motor, motors hate water in the cylinders. lol

Old 11-21-2015, 10:17 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

just annFYI on air filters and water... My 2014 FLS came stock with a paper element which was replaced quicly by a K&N unit during the stg1 mod.
K&N are gauze and oil treated which dissipates moistre well enough to protect the intake during heavy down pours really well even with out the use of a sock or cover. I run mine naked and sits outside 90% of the time and have not had a problem with rain nor do I expect any
If yours is paper, do your self a favor and ditch it

Old 11-30-2015, 05:16 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

So, after some back and forth, I decided to make my own luggage rack. I already have the HD QD spools. The back set installed in the front and the front set installed in the back. This way I can QD the rack and not touch the TS. I realize Wachuko already made the HD rack work, but I thought I would give this a try.

I already bought the material and already have plenty of fasteners. I should be done tomorrow.

I've already compromised a little. It won't have the little flip in the back because I couldn't find the square tube, but I can always remake the ribs. I did find some 1/2" channel, but it won't bend without buckling.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:24 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Trial fit of the luggage rack.

Everything works great. Next I'll round off some edges and trim a few places. I also need correct fasteners for the QD pieces.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:08 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

That looks very good & actually goes very well with the military styling.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:50 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

SLV i've followed your build, nice job.

Are you going to paint or powder coat the rack, if so what color?

Quick Reply: S-Series - Home Base