Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean Handlebars on my CAN Bus scoot

Old 09-19-2015, 06:59 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey fellas... thanks for the nice and funny words.

Originally Posted by SLV
I haven't worked out the switches yet. Maybe we could put some tech together for a new product.
Sure... it all depends on the bike... with the 2016 cruise control and the extra buttons it makes the clean bars idea more complex.. more switches.. and I will need to hack a 2016 bike to know the codes for cruise control..

Originally Posted by oscar621
switches would allow installation of Namz box for standard switch control, then using separate circuit stock cruise switches would work.
Steve
Oscar.. be aware that Namz Controller does not support the Trip Switch function.. that is why I did not go that route.. I spoke to them.. they are planning on making a version that supports the Trip switch in the coming months.. also.. be aware that the GripAce switch assembly is NOT compatible with Namz Controller..

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
damn cool...wonder if it could be rigged for voice command?
LOL.. voice command sounds extremely complex to achieve.. I have the Sena 20S... awesome product... but is a close system... I doubt you can hack or expand the Sena system to interact with the CAN Bus Controller... technically is possible.. it just seems like a very complex system idea..

Originally Posted by miami
how difficult is it when wearing gloves come winter?
No Idea about the gloves.. I ride with racing gloves.. tons of protection but they are not thick... I imagine that is going to be really difficult to sense and find the Gripace switches while using thick winter gloves .. perhaps with other type of switches is possible..

I have tons of ideas to further develop this CAN Controller that I designed.. perhaps a mix of Gripace switches paired with MotoGadget M-Switches (very expensive solution... but the switches are gorgeous) .. I will keep you posted..

My concern is that with the 2016 Cruise control models ... companies like Namz and GripAce now have to go back to the drawing board... so.. do not expect to see a complete solution for 2016 models in the near future (Heck.. HD went CAN Bus in 2011.. and 4 years later GripAce has yet to produce a CAN Bus solution!!.. c'mon GripAce!!.. I made a functional version in a couple weeks.. what is taking You so long?????)

Last edited by joebotics; 09-19-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:18 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by EagleRay
When will you have your scoot brewing coffee and fixing breakfast for u?
LOL... man.. your bike looks awesome!

Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 AM
oscar621
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oscar.. be aware that Namz Controller does not support the Trip Switch function.. that is why I did not go that route.. I spoke to them.. they are planning on making a version that supports the Trip switch in the coming months.. also.. be aware that the GripAce switch assembly is NOT compatible with Namz Controller..

Did not even think about trip switch, I never really even use it.

Saw in your post that Gripace switch had to be modified to work with Namz Controller, for me that would not matter as I plan on keeping regular switch housings. But still very cool that you got it to work.

Would like to know what software you used to get CAN codes though, if you don't mind. I have been trying to figure out a way to utilize my amber/green LED in factory speedo for cruise instead of LED's I had to install in switch housing. Not sure if it is even in the code in controller for this function but would like to try and find out if possible.

Keep up the great work brother! Never thought I would see a remote start for bike...even though it might only have a 30 foot range depending on bluetooth signal...lol

Steve

Old 09-21-2015, 10:18 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Hey Oscar..

the tool I used is the CAN Bus Analyzer from Microchip.com .... I made a cable to connect to the Harley CAN Bus via the DLC connector located in the battery compartment.. the tool comes with the software to allow you to see the CAN packets..

it has been fun to hack the Harley CAN Bus network... now I need to trade my 2011 for a 2016 Slim so I can hack the new network with the cruise control data.. yeah!!

Old 09-21-2015, 03:55 PM
oscar621
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joebotics
Hey Oscar..

the tool I used is the CAN Bus Analyzer from Microchip.com .... I made a cable to connect to the Harley CAN Bus via the DLC connector located in the battery compartment.. the tool comes with the software to allow you to see the CAN packets..

it has been fun to hack the Harley CAN Bus network... now I need to trade my 2011 for a 2016 Slim so I can hack the new network with the cruise control data.. yeah!!
Thanks for the info. I saw a few different analyzers but wanted to make sure I get one that will work with this system. I may have a route to tap into 2016 and if I can figure out cruise data I will send it to you.

I am only looking for speedo cruise light data, but will milk it for every bit of data I can mine...lol

I believe by the pic I have figured out which bluetooth module and micro controller you are using, so off to the web for some shopping. I have an old Vance & Hines FP3 tuner that the bluetooth module failed on and I am going to trying and see if it will work to Tx & Rx CAN data.

Will let you know if it works...

Thanks again for sharing...

Steve

Old 09-21-2015, 05:11 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Hey Steve.. this is the analyzer I used:

http://www.microchip.com/Development...artNO=apgdt002

The software is quite antiquated and basic, but it gets the job done.

the microcontroller is the Parallax Propeller Mini:
https://www.parallax.com/product/32150

The Bluetooth module is Sparkfun BlueSmirf Gold:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12582

I did the Bluetooth Remote control just for fun... I am not sure it really has a practical application... I took my bike to the HD Dealer the night they had the 2016 model unveiling.. my bike was popular... all the HD mechanics came out to see the remote control... they were fascinated by it.. :-)

Originally Posted by oscar621
Thanks for the info. I saw a few different analyzers but wanted to make sure I get one that will work with this system. I may have a route to tap into 2016 and if I can figure out cruise data I will send it to you.

I am only looking for speedo cruise light data, but will milk it for every bit of data I can mine...lol

I believe by the pic I have figured out which bluetooth module and micro controller you are using, so off to the web for some shopping. I have an old Vance & Hines FP3 tuner that the bluetooth module failed on and I am going to trying and see if it will work to Tx & Rx CAN data.

Will let you know if it works...

Thanks again for sharing...

Steve

Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

The bars look great and your hack is very impressive!! I really appreciate a guy who can hack into things and make them work.

How did you get it to idle so low?

Old 09-23-2015, 07:51 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Joe_G
The bars look great and your hack is very impressive!! I really appreciate a guy who can hack into things and make them work.

How did you get it to idle so low?
Hey Joe.. thanks!!

the idle is low because I am using the Thundermax + Autotune... I downloaded the 800 RPM maps on it.. that is why I get such a low idle... I love the sound.. :-)

Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by joebotics
Hey Joe.. thanks!!

the idle is low because I am using the Thundermax + Autotune... I downloaded the 800 RPM maps on it.. that is why I get such a low idle... I love the sound.. :-)
Me too!

My have a piggyback with no idle capability on my bike, given the low tech speed density no feedback system I have I didn't want to spring for the higher cost tuners.

So I went with a manual idle control to get that good sound...

Old 09-23-2015, 08:02 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

ahh cool!!.. I saw that product before.. not cheap.. isn't it ??? pretty cool mod..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clean Handlebars on my CAN Bus scoot