Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean Handlebars on my CAN Bus scoot

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 03:36 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Clean Handlebars on my CAN Bus scoot

hey fellas... here is a first look at my new clean handlebars:

I have been looking at alternatives for clean handlebars.. the difficulty for all of us who ride CAN Bus Softails is the fact that there is no complete solution in the market for clean hand control switches.. ... sure.. there is Gripace.com .. but they do not make a CAN Bus version... also.. there is the CAN Bus controller from namzcustoms (http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c...ontroller.html ) however, it is just the controller, no switches..

Soo.. I put my knowledge in electronics and computer science to work.. and I built my own custom made CAN Bus controller.. how? first.. I hacked the CAN Bus network using electronic and computer tools.. once I identified how the HD CAN Bus works I built the CAN Bus Controller.. here is a pic:

I had to also hack the gripace switch assembly to get it to work with my CAN Bus controller.. it was a painful process.. but the switches work as intended.. here is a pic:

I installed the custom made CAN Bus under the tank.. here is a pic ( this is a prototype, I am planning on making a much smaller version):

The operation is simple... the innermost switch is horn, second is right turn, third is left turn, fourth is for toggling the high/low beam... to turn on the engine I press both first and second buttons at the same time..

It all works really well.. I am pleased with the looks of the clean bars.. the brake assembly is a cheap-o Ebay radial master cylinder.. I am planning on replacing it with a quality one like Brembo or Racing master...

Now.. for the real kicker!!.. while playing with the CAN Bus controller circuitry I started thinking "What else can I do with it??" .. I have experience working with Android phones, electronics and robotics.. and I thought.. "man... I pretty much have control of the bike... how about remote control??".. well.. after tinkering with the ignition switch and start sequence.. I decided that I can perhaps I can use some Bluetooth trickery.. below is a video of the result.. pretty cool uh??.

Last edited by joebotics; 09-24-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:15 PM
08Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. That's cool.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:04 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Clean Handlebars on my CAN Bus scoot

OK. That's some cool stuff.

People will pay $1000-1500, maybe more for something like that.

I've been sketching ideas for fully internal master cylinders for clutch and brake, with full internal mechanism. The only outer mechanics are levers and small tabs for lever pivots. I haven't worked out the switches yet. Maybe we could put some tech together for a new product.

Last edited by SLV; 09-18-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Tony S.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job on that! Very cool stuff!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

You're a genius man, that's a money maker right there

Old 09-19-2015, 05:39 AM
oscar621
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is WAY COOL! When I put cruise on my softail I worked around the CANBUS system by installing external Harley switches to control cruise functions just because it was not part of the controller firmware, but after seeing this the wheels started spinning!

A simple rewire of stock Harley Road King cruise switch assemblies to remove 12 VDC power feed to switches would allow installation of Namz box for standard switch control, then using separate circuit stock cruise switches would work.

Now I know what this years winter project will be...

Thanks...

Steve

Old 09-19-2015, 11:34 AM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome, but I'm just way too old for this. Don't start it in gear. Just saying...

Old 09-19-2015, 12:42 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

damn cool...wonder if it could be rigged for voice command?

Old 09-19-2015, 01:16 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

When will you have your scoot brewing coffee and fixing breakfast for u?

Old 09-19-2015, 06:19 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

how difficult is it when wearing gloves come winter?

Quick Reply: Clean Handlebars on my CAN Bus scoot