Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Shotgun Shock installers:

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:17 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
I remain firm on my stance that individual shop discounts (especially those of forum sponsors) should not be discussed here, if not published by them. What discount they give is for them to decide, not forum members. If JD has ever mentioned a standard for members discount publicly on these forums, then I will of course stand corrected. But to my knowledge he has not...
So not only did you feel the need to repeat yourself and make your opinion clear on the matter but you were wrong both times lol! Guess you stand corrected

Old 10-06-2015, 07:51 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
So not only did you feel the need to repeat yourself and make your opinion clear on the matter but you were wrong both times lol! Guess you stand corrected
Happily!
I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong...

Old 10-06-2015, 08:04 AM
Dieselvol
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pipeyeti
My only problem during install was over tightening the compressor motor clamp. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THIS. It puts drag on the motor and causes the fuse to blow. It just needs to be snug. I found out about this problem at 10 pm and no spare fuse. Other than that its pretty straight forward. I also bought a Liquivac oil vacume pump to make trans fluid changes easier. The SS needs to be dropped on the front to get to the trans drain plug. I use the vac to suck out the warm trans fluid. I change fluid everytime I change oil. I do drop the SS and pull the drain plug about every fourth oil change.
I'd like to get them a technical writer to tighten up their instructions a bit. When I didn't own a torque wrench, I always hated when they mentioned torque numbers. Now that I own 3, I hate when they don't tell you exactly what to torque it to. I'm hoping that when I get started, the instruction will make more sense. The pictures in their instructions may as well be upside down for all the help they've given me.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dieselvol
I'd like to get them a technical writer to tighten up their instructions a bit. When I didn't own a torque wrench, I always hated when they mentioned torque numbers. Now that I own 3, I hate when they don't tell you exactly what to torque it to. I'm hoping that when I get started, the instruction will make more sense. The pictures in their instructions may as well be upside down for all the help they've given me.
You called? LOL

I think once you have the system, try the compressor on for size up in that void behind the transmission and can see everything in context with your bike, it will all become clear.

I need to pull my whole system and replace it this weekend. If you want, I'll try and take some better pictures for you to show how it all fits together...

Old 10-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

You called? LOL

I think once you have the system, try the compressor on for size up in that void behind the transmission and can see everything in context with your bike, it will all become clear.

I need to pull my whole system and replace it this weekend. If you want, I'll try and take some better pictures for you to show how it all fits together...
Now that would be awesome! I'm definitely a "hands on" and/or "visual" learner. Reading usually allows me to misinterpret some aspect. If you have time, that would be helpful for the whole forum. Thanks for the offer.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:51 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Actually, after a quick search, I found THIS.

Let me know if you need any clarification after going though it...

Old 10-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

My cursory review says that ought to help a lot. I'll review it in detail and get back. Thanks for digging that up.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Ok, between the description on their website and that link, I think I've got it. Unfortunately, no torque numbers are to be found. Also, Loctite advice varies. Harley says blue, Shotgun Shocks says red. I'm thinking I'll follow Harley's torque recs and SS Loctite advice. I don't much like advice like "do not over tighten". That's pretty hard to guesstimate.