Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Shotgun Shock installers:

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calling all Shotgun Shock installers:

Thinking about biting the bullet, particularly after a recent "bottoming out" experience while riding with my son on back. I've got a few questions. Feel free to answer any that interest you and ignore what doesn't.

1. Since I chromed the front end, adding Progressive Monotubes at the same time, changed to beach bars and internalized the wires, and changed out to a chrome swing arm with all work done by me, I'm assuming that I'm out getting in over my head on this project. Agree?

2. I've got more mods than listed in number one. Are there any mods that will make this project impossible or require removal of some mod?

3. Roughly how long does this conversion usually take?

4. Is it just me, or are the pictures that appear with the instructions not really all that helpful?

5. As I recall, don't they give us some sort of discount for being HD Forum members?

6. Any helpful tips that will make the install go better?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Old 10-05-2015, 02:33 AM
Steven725
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a piece of cake to install. Instructions are straight forward and takes maybe an hour or two install. If you call them and let them know your an hdforum member they will get it to your door for 1250.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:00 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

1250- is a great price. I paid 1400- total (shipping in USA) and I did let them know I was a hdforum member before hand

Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven725
It's a piece of cake to install. Instructions are straight forward and takes maybe an hour or two install. If you call them and let them know your an hdforum member they will get it to your door for 1250.
I disagree on two points:
1. I wouldn't exactly call it a "piece of cake." The rear shoulder bolts are a B!TCH to "break"!
2. Not real cool disclosing sponsor discounts publicly on the forum. SS does not publish any discounts here or on their website, so the discount they give, if any, is their call. I don't believe there is any set forum member discount, nor is JD obliged to give one.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
I disagree on two points:
1. I wouldn't exactly call it a "piece of cake." The rear shoulder bolts are a B!TCH to "break"!
2. Not real cool disclosing sponsor discounts publicly on the forum. SS does not publish any discounts here or on their website, so the discount they give, if any, is their call. I don't believe there is any set forum member discount, nor is JD obliged to give one.
Thanks for responding. I remember those bolts from my swingarm exchange. Hopefully, I didn't put them back on better than the factory did. As to the discount, that's been widely discussed here before. That's how I knew about it. I think his (and my) uncoolness can be forgiven on that basis.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Jeff71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated, the rear shoulder bolts are the biggest pain of the whole install. I ended up using some MAPP gas to heat the mount bracket and the bolts came out a lot easier with the HD thread locker being warm!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jeff71
As stated, the rear shoulder bolts are the biggest pain of the whole install. I ended up using some MAPP gas to heat the mount bracket and the bolts came out a lot easier with the HD thread locker being warm!
I used red Loctite, like the manual calls for. I have a heat gun that supposedly goes up to 1800 degrees. Is that warm enough to break that red Loctite bond?

Old 10-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselvol
I used red Loctite, like the manual calls for. I have a heat gun that supposedly goes up to 1800 degrees. Is that warm enough to break that red Loctite bond?
yes the locktite will loosen even at 400-500 degrees

Old 10-05-2015, 01:27 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I went to Lowe's and bought an extra long 3/4" box wrench (about $10) to loosen the swingarm bolts.
A little heat and one good grunt and they busted loose.
That wrench was also useful when it came time to put them back, as nothing else I had could reach in there.

As far as installing them, I used a Sears red to jack the bike up as far as it would go, then I placed a concrete block on each side of the jack topped with 4x4's, then I dropped the bike onto those before pulling the jack out - that gave me plenty of room to work plus it was quite stable.
I even used the jack under the tire to help manipulate the swingarm up and down as I removed the old shocks and installed the Shotgun - an extra set of hands was useful here too.
The hardest part was breaking those rear bolts loose (which really wasn't that bad) and finding a suitable path for the wiring up through the battery box.
If I had to do it again I could probably do the job in a couple of hours...

That discount for forum members is well known and often discussed here.
I mean, if we can't talk about a discount for forum members here in the forum, then what's the point?

Last edited by jam436; 10-05-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jam436
I went to Lowe's and bought an extra long 3/4" box wrench (about $10) to loosen the swingarm bolts.
A little heat and one good grunt and they busted loose.
That wrench was also useful when it came time to put them back, as nothing else I had could reach in there.

As far as installing them, I used a Sears red to jack the bike up as far as it would go, then I placed a concrete block on each side of the jack topped with 4x4's, then I dropped the bike onto those before pulling the jack out - that gave me plenty of room to work plus it was quite stable.
I even used the jack under the tire to help manipulate the swingarm up and down as I removed the old shocks and installed the Shotgun - an extra set of hands was useful here too.
The hardest part was breaking those rear bolts loose (which really wasn't that bad) and finding a suitable path for the wiring up through the battery box.
If I had to do it again I could probably do the job in a couple of hours...

That discount for forum members is well known and often discussed here.
I mean, if we can't talk about a discount for forum members here in the forum, then what's the point?
I'm a little unclear on how you did the jack on the rear tire. That or I'm unclear on where the concrete blocks went. I usually put blocks under the tires, but that would keep you from having the jack there. Were your blocks under the frame?

Quick Reply: Calling all Shotgun Shock installers: