Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Forum.. Just purchased 2010 Fat Boy Lo and some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:18 AM
jkiser
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New to Forum.. Just purchased 2010 Fat Boy Lo and some questions..

Hi All,

My name is Jim and I just purchased a black denim 2010 Fat Boy Lo. I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get some help with.

1. Do I have to relocate the turn signals to install a factory back rest? I have read yes and no on the forum and was very curious whats correct?

2. When I got the bike, the previous owner had removed the passenger foot pegs all together. All the hardware, everything. This didn't make my girlfriend very happy!! I checked the dealership and wow, those things are expensive. I was wondering if anyone here has some factory passenger foot pegs and maybe the mounting hardware and bolts I could buy.

I think that's it for now. Thanks for all the information in all these posts.

be safe out there..

Jim K.

Last edited by jkiser; 10-06-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: change header
Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

check the classifies here, if not then ebay. I just bought a back rest for my '12 lo from a guy here and he did a mod to it and removed part of the metal so it would fit without having to relocate the signals.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Visago
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya man...watch out on ebay & craigslist. May come across someone that has them. On the backrest...you have to get a rear blinker relo kit in order for the quick detach backrests to fit with the stock blinkers. Now...you can make it fit by grinding down the back end of the rest mounts with a grinder & repaint. That really only works with the black painted rest otherwise you are gonna jack up the chrome. I did it on mine and it turned out great. Took my time, ground them to fit, & then repainted with black touch up paint. Can't even tell. Plus...it's fun to take a brand new $180 part and put a grinder to it lol.

Last edited by Visago; 10-06-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 PM
jkiser
Cruiser

I was lucky and found the complete black Harley backrest for $100 and the mounting kit for $20 on Ebay My buddy I work with has a grinder so I'm going that route.. Seems pretty cut and dry.. Great mod to keep from relocating the turn signals which looks like a beating.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Visago
Cruiser

Same exact thing I was thinking. I had the relo kit and took it back. Plus I like the look of the stock blinker arms better. It's real easy to grind it down.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:55 PM
jkiser
Cruiser

if I may ask what kind of grinder did you use? Did you just measure it off, grind it down and paint it? It looks easy but never done much with a grinder..

Old 10-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I removed my rear signals altogether and installed a rear LED tail light with integrated signals. Cleaned up the rear of the bike nicely.

Have a look at these rear boards, mine are on order.

kuryakyn

Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the softail family

Old 10-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Visago
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jkiser
if I may ask what kind of grinder did you use? Did you just measure it off, grind it down and paint it? It looks easy but never done much with a grinder..
I just bought a cheap hand held electric grinder from Harbor Freight. Worked like a charm. Didn't really measure it I just did it by eye. Basically flattened the end off and rounded off the edges. Took my time and made sure both sides were the same. You could mark it off though if you want to. I just kept test fitting it until I had enough material off. I'll post some pics later if you want.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 AM
jkiser
Cruiser

If you could post pics, that would be great. I have never tackled anything like this before..

Quick Reply: New to Forum.. Just purchased 2010 Fat Boy Lo and some questions..