Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:51 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2016 Heritage Classic

I've been a Road King fan for years, but have been leaning toward a Heritage. Now that I see the Teal/White color, I'm obsessed. The $1,000 price decrease didn't hurt my feelings either......

Couple questions about softails:

1. Is the catalytic converter in the muffler or headpipes? Or do Softails even have catalytic converters?

2. How many miles can I expect to get on a set of stock tires?

3. Would only plan to change to a slip on muffler. What is a good sounding slip on for a Heritage? I know that's a very subjective questions, but looking for opinions.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:29 AM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cats are in the tailpipe. I got about 6500 miles out of the first rear tire on my Deluxe but with making a point to use the front brake more for stopping my rear tire wear is much better. I am already at 7000 miles on my rear tire and I definately have more tire left for riding. Next time I replace it I will replace both. Go to YouTube for sound clips on various slip on exhaust. I just replaced the whole exhaust system on mine.

I do alot of long haul riding and the Softail rides perfectly for me.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

It depends on your roads, conditions and how you ride, I get 11,000 out of a Heritage rear tire, and changed my front tire on my 12 Heritage at 25,000 but we go in straight lines here. The treads were still good but the tires cup.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:29 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

The exhaust is different on a Softail than a Touring bike. You do not need to change the head pipe to get rid of the Cat. It is in the mufflers. Rear tire wear for me has been similar to my Limited.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:29 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Tire wear all depends on the load or weight on the rear tire. If you ride single it will last a lot longer than if you always have a passenger. Also proper air pressure is very important.
I put Rush slip ons with the 1.75" baffle on my 09 Heritage and am real happy with the sound, loud enough to be heard but not so loud to give u a headache.
Good luck.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:49 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Just get the softail, its a great bike.

I'm on my 7th bike (4th harley) and me deluxe is the best bike i ever owned and / or rode

Old 10-07-2015, 05:56 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Khromewrks Hp plus sound and look great. You will enjoy the bike more if you add a good tune.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I sold my road king to get my heritage springer and I love the looks of my springer.

But on the highway I miss my road king. The balanced engine is smooth at idle but buzzy on the highway. I'm used to it now, but I still miss my road king.

Plus, that tank of 250 degree oil under the seat and between your legs is HOT. The road king is cooler with nothing under the seat and oil under the trans. I find a Captain Itch crotch cooler (a great recommendation from my friend UKLauren) is very helpful in this regard. It was never needed on the Road King. Plus wind management was a lot better on the RK, despite shield lowers, I get an annoying updraft under the shield on my springer I never got on the RK.

Perhaps it's blasphemy to tout the touring chassis in the softail section, but I really wish I'd kept both bikes, my springer for Sunday bike show cruising but my Road King for serious long distance road work. My thought is to be sure and give one a good long highway ride to make sure you like it. I do love that teal and white so I understand that desire.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:02 PM
KYfishtail
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you ride solo, keep the tires properly inflated, and don't ride the thing like you're Nicky Hayden, you should get 12K on the rear, and more on the front no problem. My Slim had over 12K and 3/32 of tread left when I ran over a nail and killed it. The front is still going strong at 14K.

Last edited by KYfishtail; 10-07-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:57 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

One-up"
Tires 8K on rear and 15k front, running 41 psi rear and 39 psi front.
The cats are in the mufflers and are gone when you install slip ons
As far as slip ons I have settled on American Custom Exhaust and modified my stock mufflers to their Flex System which allow me to change the sound level as wanted and they are good stage 1 performers. Rush 2" baffle or the Freedom Performance Signature are also good.
I have a pair of each for sale if you want 'em send me a PM.
I am a converted RK/E/glide owner to my Heritage, never looked back. My 2011 Heritage is my favorite Harley I have owned.

Last edited by checkers; 10-07-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Heritage Classic