Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So here's my DNA story...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts
Default So here's my DNA story...

After reading many,many posts about the DNA Mammoth spoke wheel (50-50 for/against),I decided to buy one for my front back in May.Mounted up fine.Ran tubeless,no balance issue,nothing.Pleased with the wheel.Coming home from Street Vibes last week,and 60 mi. from home,and I hit what felt like a small rock on the hwy.Immediately goes into a speed wobble at 85 mph.YOWZA!Got her to the side of the road and see that the bead popped off the rim.Called the wife who came with a trailer,and took her home.
Next day I try to seat the bead again with some soapy water,and this is what I see...

Needless to say I am not happy,and I won't be running it tubeless anymore.Not really bitching,just putting it out there for those who are considering running tubeless.I tried the Ride-on stuff too,but that apparently is more for balancing,than plugging leaks.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,244 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Scary story about the wheel wobble. Glad you kept the rubber side down.

But, I didn't think you could run a spoked wheel tubeless, without loosing air. Not to make light of your misery, but the frothing wheel is kind of funny.

Btw..tire sealers like ride-on spread around on the tire surface while the wheel is rotating. So, by centrifugal force, it won't get to the spoke holes.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 10-07-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:59 PM
chitownslim
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to know you ok, but this story already convinces me to not take this same path with DNA, I think I need to save more

Old 10-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Daddy454
Road Master

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Scary story about the wheel wobble. Glad you kept the rubber side down.

But, I didn't think you could run a spoked wheel tubeless, without loosing air. Not to make light of your misery, but the frothing wheel is kind of funny.

Btw..tire sealers like ride-on spread around on the tire surface while the wheel is rotating. So, by centrifugal force, it won't get to the spoke holes.
I believe these are actually designed to run tubeless with spokes.My next door neighbor has the same wheels front and rear,with no problems so far.Now he's reconsidering.
Never even thought about the centrifugal force thing.Does make sense though.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 PM
DC Mike
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got a DNA "tubless" spoke front wheel on mine too. You bet your *** there's a tube in it. Hahaha I never trust a spoke wheel to hold air, no matter how much the manufacturer claims it does.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Daddy454
Road Master

Originally Posted by DC Mike
I've got a DNA "tubless" spoke front wheel on mine too. You bet your *** there's a tube in it. Hahaha I never trust a spoke wheel to hold air, no matter how much the manufacturer claims it does.
Ha....word to your mother.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I ran the same wheel on my Road King. One day I pulled it off and sold it. Never had a problem with it but I was always worrying about when I was gonna.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:05 PM
racerkvn
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I can tell you EXACTLY what happened. The sealant they use to "seal" up the spokes has busted apart inside the wheel. When you break the tire down the "rubber/sealant" will be in chunks. My rear wheel did that on the very first ride the day I put my wheels and tires on. Just happened to stop at a gas station with an air compressor, put 40 lbs of air in it and it was flat by the time I got my helmet cinched back up. I put a tube in it the next day and haven't worried with it since.

I also haven't seen many spoke wheels that didn't need a tube, including the expensive ones. At least at some point. So it honestly didn't **** me off to have to put a tube in it. If I had bought some "expensive tubeless spoked wheels" it would've pissed me off to have to put a tube in it after the very first ride.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Daddy454
Road Master

Originally Posted by racerkvn
I can tell you EXACTLY what happened. The sealant they use to "seal" up the spokes has busted apart inside the wheel. When you break the tire down the "rubber/sealant" will be in chunks. My rear wheel did that on the very first ride the day I put my wheels and tires on. Just happened to stop at a gas station with an air compressor, put 40 lbs of air in it and it was flat by the time I got my helmet cinched back up. I put a tube in it the next day and haven't worried with it since.
Well,not quite.I took the tire off yesterday,to put a tube in it,and it didn't come apart at all really.Not really sure what happened?I definitely learned my lesson for when I eventually do the rear wheel.Oh yeah,it's coming.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:59 PM
FLSlim
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. thats scary. really scary. Does a Buyer Beware come with the wheels? Like pharmaceuticals tell you all that can go wrong with your meds. They should list all the potential hazards of running these on the road.

"You will look cool and you might die while you looking good too"

P.O.S for wheels.

Quick Reply: So here's my DNA story...