Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Monotubes - Longevity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Progressive Monotubes - Longevity?

I've read a lot about the Progressive Monotubes and I'm getting my winter projects in order right now. I plan to powder coat my lower fork legs and thought it would be a great time to add the Monotubes.

I'm looking to get some feedback from folks who have had these things installed now for 5 or more years and logged a ton of miles on them. I just want to make sure they hold up over the long term.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:28 PM
jmn1960
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Berick
I've read a lot about the Progressive Monotubes and I'm getting my winter projects in order right now. I plan to powder coat my lower fork legs and thought it would be a great time to add the Monotubes.

I'm looking to get some feedback from folks who have had these things installed now for 5 or more years and logged a ton of miles on them. I just want to make sure they hold up over the long term.

putting mine in next weekend

subscribed ,, to see the ansewers you get

Old 10-09-2015, 05:05 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had monotubes installed in my Fatboy for over 3 years. No decline in performance. They were money well spent. Pull the trigger!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:45 PM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

With regular springs, you can drain/refill the oil in the fork tubes every so often. The monotubes have their own internal oil, the oil you add to the fork tubes is just for light lubrication, not damping.

Doesn't the oil inside the monotubes get dirty over time/use or lose viscosity etc. is maintenance required? Remove and rebuild?

Old 10-09-2015, 05:52 PM
jmn1960
Road Master

Originally Posted by r1cochet
With regular springs, you can drain/refill the oil in the fork tubes every so often. The monotubes have their own internal oil, the oil you add to the fork tubes is just for light lubrication, not damping.

Doesn't the oil inside the monotubes get dirty over time/use or lose viscosity etc. is maintenance required? Remove and rebuild?
good question ,, hopefully some one will chime in on this as I was wondering the same thing

mike

Old 10-09-2015, 05:58 PM
jmn1960
Road Master

just got off the phone with progesssive,, reg maintaince just as Harley stockers ,, but you have to drop the fork tubes to do so no top fill cap , but you can use a mighty vac ,, drain @ bottom and then suck the 5oz back thru the drain ,, all the oil does after the mono's are installed is to keep the leg bushings & springs lubed ,,

mike

Last edited by jmn1960; 10-09-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Berick
Tourer

To answer your question.... no, the Monotubes come with a lifetime warranty and are NOT supposed to ever need rebuilding. Unlike the factory fork seal setup, Monotubes are self-contained and have no rubber seals to deteriorate (the factory rubber seals are still used and WILL deteriorate over time). However, on some forums I have read that the Monotubes can rattle around and make noise after a short time. Some folks have also mentioned that the cartridge seems to lose it's charge and the setup goes soft. This is why I want someone to chime in that has put these things to some good use with both time and miles.

Last edited by Berick; 10-09-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:25 PM
Berick
Tourer

I spoke with Progressive today and they said they had some trouble with a few baggers but it was narrowed down to a poor install on the customers end. He assured me they had a lifetime warranty though and they stood behind that. The warranty may be awesome but I don't feel like spending 4-5 hours yanking them out, mailing them off and re-installing them if it is a common problem.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:40 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

The tubes are gas charged. Oil is added for the spring pack.
IMHO, you can get better results than stock for $92.95 with their replacement springs. Just add Fuchs Silkolene synthetic 02 or 05 weight fork oil and end of story

Old 10-09-2015, 07:46 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I've only had mine for about a year and a half but in that time I've managed to put about 8,000 miles on them.
They're still as firm as the day I installed them - no change at all.
..and good idea doing them while they're apart for PC.
I had to take mine down twice...

Quick Reply: Progressive Monotubes - Longevity?