Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Model Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 08:34 AM
dabimf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Model Change Question

Presently I own a 14 Classic Ultra. The knees aren't what they should be and I am considering going to a Softail leaning towards a Heritage Classic.
Anyone here gone from a touring bike to a Softail and any regrets in doing so?

Old 10-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

What benefits are you expecting from the Softail line, or the Heritage specifically, that you don't have with the Touring bikes or your Ultra Classic?

You mentioned your knees. How is a Softail going to help them? Have you test ridden the Heritage?

Old 10-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Baxter's Bagger
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been riding for decades. The natural progression each time I upgraded motors was to buy one a little fancier than the previous one. As a result I found myself on Electra Glide Ultra Limited with every available bell and whistle. It weighed over 900 pounds, and my wife and I added another 400 (I'm a big guy). So yeah, balancing 1300 pounds at stop lights and parking lots is damn hard on old abused knees.
I did not want to move to a trike and my wife was ready to stop riding anyway, so I started looking at smaller bikes.
I ended up on a Softail Deuce and couldn't be happier. No sound system, no GPS-intercom-CB- Sat system, no air ride-air seat, no Bat Wing barn door, no cruise control or any other bling. It's just a motorcycle with a sweet set of pipes.
I can't believe how much I enjoy riding again.
Now don't get me wrong here, there is nothing bad about a fully loaded touring bike and burning up lots of miles with every creature comfort. But getting back to the basics on a much lighter, easier on old knees and nimble Softail has saved my riding days. It's all good Brother.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes I owned a couple tourers. The softails have a much lower center of gravity, easier to move around, smooth counterbalanced engine, comfortable riding position with your legs farther down on the floorboards, and great in the city or the open road. If it wasn't for the softail line I wouldn't still be a Harley owner.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:45 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, that..... /\ /\ /\

I went from a Streetglide to my Heritage, much happier. The Softail line is much smoother, the weight is less and carried lower, and you can even add tunes if you want... I did!

Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,403 Likes on 4,013 Posts

I have both.... Ultra & Heritage...

Love'em both, but they are two totally different bikes.

The Heritage is A LOT EASIER to move around. Much lighter and lower center of gravity. While my Ultra is awesome on long trips, I took many long trips on the Heritage prior to getting the Ultra... Never complained about a trip on the Heritage!

Does the Heritage have the same comfort of the Ultra... no. The full fairing on the Ultra is better than the Heritage windshield, but the Heritage windshield does a pretty good job. Plus, I got used to the radio/comms of the Ultra on long trips with the wife.

If you set the Heritage up with a proper seat, maybe get better rear shocks, and dial in the bars (I'm actually happy with OEM seat & bars)... I suspect after a year of riding the Heritage you won't remember/miss the Ultra..

Old 10-10-2015, 11:12 AM
dabimf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to each that replied. My main reason for considering the Heritage is the bike weight difference. I also like the old school look. Don't get me wrong the Ultra is a great bike. However, since I don't want to go to a trike at this time I'm going to give the Heritage a lot of thought. Thanks again.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:59 AM
DRJ1911
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just moved to a heritage from a RGS because with a bad hip I just couldn't move the RG around. I loved my RG but I am very happy with the Heritage. It fits me better and is much easier to move around.

Last edited by DRJ1911; 10-11-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:54 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

count me in had many touring bikes over the years. now a happy heritage owner.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:16 AM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy a 2016 with cruise,get the boom audio for the windshield,slip on mufflers and I think you will be happy.i just got off my ultra and was very happy.just saying.

Quick Reply: Bike Model Change Question