Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim spring solo seat kits - a review...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 04:05 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by stinkerbill
...snip...
By the way... LOVE what you're doing to your Slim
Thanks! I need to get some more recent pics. The primary
case is black now & I've got different trans/cam/rocker covers
on it now too...

T.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:15 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston-Ed
@Stinkerbill, having the same minor nightmare with the gap between the frame cover and the fender, would be interested to know what materials you used

Nice ride, Looks like Warrs workshop to me ? Is your bike one of their builds ?

Old 02-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Piston-Ed
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I bought the bike from Warrs and chose which parts I wanted, mainly by going through a couple of parts catalogues online - http://www.motorcyclestorehouse.nl - and http://www.customchrome.com - the bags and seat were from these, as was taillight, exhaust and indicators. Forks and hand controls, side lights and mirrors all HD parts. Leather cable covers by WildHog and pinstriping and copper hoses all done by Warrs' (they outsource this). Air filter is by Kuryakyn. Grips are RSD, might change these to tan vintage ones which I had on there originally. Interestingly after one month, the saddle bags have toned down nicely and are now same colour as seat and cables, even though all three items are from different vendors.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:58 AM
paullavery
Road Master

Thanks, I bought the bike from Warrs and chose which parts I wanted, mainly by going through a couple of parts catalogues online - http://www.motorcyclestorehouse.nl - and http://www.customchrome.com - the bags and seat were from these, as was taillight, exhaust and indicators. Forks and hand controls, side lights and mirrors all HD parts. Leather cable covers by WildHog and pinstriping and copper hoses all done by Warrs' (they outsource this). Air filter is by Kuryakyn. Grips are RSD, might change these to tan vintage ones which I had on there originally. Interestingly after one month, the saddle bags have toned down nicely and are now same colour as seat and cables, even though all three items are from different vendors.
I've got the WildHog bags on mine, they do some great products, I'd be interested to know how much Warrs charge for outsourcing the copper hoses.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 80 Posts

I'd love a pick of the brackets for those bags - I wanna see how they mount

Old 02-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Piston-Ed
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether you go for the WildHog ones or mine, they both require a mod. Either, get the rear fender struts from a heritage classic (they are supposedly the only ones that fit) and get them painted black, then mount with an Easy Bracket or similar. The other option is to get an adapter from Wild Hog - http://www.wildhog.it/en/hd-softail/...t-adapter.html this means you can keep the rear lights in the same position. Only downside is that they stay on when you take bags off, and they add about an inch either side to the overall width of the bags. Not sure whether this is better than having longer struts or not....choices, choices....

Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 AM
paullavery
Road Master

I've got the WildHog adapters & very happy with the look off & on.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfever
How about a photo or 2 with the seat mounted?

TBH, after looking at these, I think the Harley Davidson parts (Seats and covers) are the nicest.

Too bad you can't get the large 1929 tractor seat for the Slim. You can, but HD ship the wrong battery/ computer cover. (For an X Bones, etc).

The Seat Harley sells for the Slim has a nice battery cover but the seat is not very popular. Still, I think the Harley mounting parts are very high quality.

Yesterday I mounted my Tractor Seat on my Slimboy, it took me less than 15 min, went for a 50 mile ride. I love the comfort and extra "suspension" over harsh bumps.

My own custom battery/'puter cover:

Jet fever, your bike looks terrific.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:33 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain

Whether you go for the WildHog ones or mine, they both require a mod. Either, get the rear fender struts from a heritage classic (they are supposedly the only ones that fit) and get them painted black, then mount with an Easy Bracket or similar. The other option is to get an adapter from Wild Hog - http://www.wildhog.it/en/hd-softail/...t-adapter.html this means you can keep the rear lights in the same position. Only downside is that they stay on when you take bags off, and they add about an inch either side to the overall width of the bags. Not sure whether this is better than having longer struts or not....choices, choices....
OK, so in that case, for the Easy Bracket route, you shouldn't need the Heritage struts.

Easy Bracket do a kits specifically for the slim, which means you don't have to relocate the lights - I have them on mine (I can't find the part No. right now).

But good to know that's a viable route! It means they'll fit on mine (with some adaptation to the bags' backs I assume) and Easy brackets unlock and come completely off, leaving only the mounting bolts/lugs

Cool!

Old 02-07-2016, 02:34 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Jet fever, your bike looks terrific.
+1

It's one of my faves - looks like it was 'meant to be'

Lovely

Quick Reply: Softail Slim spring solo seat kits - a review...