Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not liking the blackout trend

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Not liking the blackout trend

I think some of the blackout bikes look pretty cool. If you have one, please don't think I'm talking trash about your bike. A bike is a very individual thing and I can see digging a blacked out bike. Saw a customized blacked-out Street Bob at our dealer a week ago that looked really cool.

I liked "Sons of Anarchy" as much as the next guy and Jax Teller's various blacked-out bikes were OK looking.

But you know, at the end of the day Harley Davidson does chrome and paint better than anyone else in the industry. I do not care for the trend away from chrome on their newer bikes. Chrome, correctly done, looks better than any blacked out bike can ever look.

I get it that blackout no doubt involves cheaper manufacturing costs. But we don't buy our Harleys to get cheap looking bikes.

Hope no one is offended by this; am I the only one against this current blackout style trend?

Old 11-01-2015, 10:55 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

blk is faster than chrome, I think why it's popular

Old 11-01-2015, 10:55 AM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I think some of the blackout bikes look pretty cool. If you have one, please don't think I'm talking trash about your bike. A bike is a very individual thing and I can see digging a blacked out bike. Saw a customized blacked-out Street Bob at our dealer a week ago that looked really cool.

I liked "Sons of Anarchy" as much as the next guy and Jax Teller's various blacked-out bikes were OK looking.

But you know, at the end of the day Harley Davidson does chrome and paint better than anyone else in the industry. I do not care for the trend away from chrome on their newer bikes. Chrome, correctly done, looks better than any blacked out bike can ever look.

I get it that blackout no doubt involves cheaper manufacturing costs. But we don't buy our Harleys to get cheap looking bikes.

Hope no one is offended by this; am I the only one against this current blackout style trend?
Seems like pretty good marketing to me. Sell the idea that flat black is what all the tough renegades rides, then sell them for a fraction less than the high dollar finishes. Pretty good way of increasing their margins. Someone there deserves a raise.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:00 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

One of the many great things about owning a Harley Davidson is the endless number of ways there are to pursue whatever theme you like. They're all superb. I've rarely seen an effort I couldn't admire. Not surprisingly, the effort I admire most is mine.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

lol.... Personally, I prefer spending my time riding and not worrying about shining the chrome all of the time. I had a chrome ***** once and I'm way happier with the dark side! Plus on the flat black bikes they hide the dirt and bug guts a lot better.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Chrome, correctly done, looks better than any blacked out bike can ever look.
Is it cheaper? why does Vance & Hines charge me $100 bucks more for my black pipes? I think chrome can look "as good" but better? There's room in my garage for one of each!! I can go black, but can always go back!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 11-01-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:07 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

You certainly have a right to your own opinion and I can understand it. Personally, I've seen some that I thought had way too much chrome on them and that I didn't really care for either. I feel that there should be a balance between chrome and black but that is just me and to each their own, that's what makes customizing so much fun.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:22 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
,,, There's room in my garage for one of each!! ,,,,

NOW we're talking !!

Old 11-01-2015, 11:26 AM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Once you go black, never look back.

In 99, I had ordered a grey Superglide. Dealer called the next day and asked me to come down. He showed me the 00 Superglide sport in the new black on black with the 150 rear tire. Shock and awe. I was the chit for years.

I'l wash it once a year. Maybee.
Its the right color of lazy.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:31 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

To each his own, which is what it's all about.
I like my blacked out Slim just because I can spend more time riding it that I might otherwise spend cleaning it.

Quick Reply: Not liking the blackout trend