Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided on S&S 509c instead of the S&S 583C

Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 AM
wrathstitz
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decided on S&S 509c instead of the S&S 583C

Okay, so here is the scoop. Ordered a set of the 583C's for my 05 STD and received the 509C instead! Yes I was PO'ed but then right before I was about to return them with a nasty gram I did a bit more homework and decided to go with them and keep things on the mild side of the scale. My riding style played a big part in this decision. Let's put it this way, from July to September I put close to 5K miles on the bike and I want a reliable cam that will not be too hard on the lifter springs.

So here is what is going in the cam chest:
509C's
New roller tappets - Hydraulic
Quickie S&S push rods
Feuling cam plate and their 7000 oil pump
Zippers hydraulic chain tensioners
And, although undecided, an EFI tuner.

What was already on the bike:
SE breather
True duals
Heavy duty clutch spring

These will be installed in the early Spring.

Any thoughts or suggestions to what EFI tuner I should get? No, I ain't got Thundermax cash!! So that is out of the question. And I am computer savvy!
Wrath

Last edited by wrathstitz; 11-11-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Tuner - Fuel Moto Powervision...... call them and tell them everything you just told us and they will send you the device with a custom tune already made up for your bike. A lot of guys on here say you only need to run the "Autotune" function on the the programmer 3 times but I found after 7 times it got rid of most of the decel pop. I say run it 6-8 times minimum and you will be happy.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I've been tuning cars for years but since our bikes have no 02 sensors and are only speed density I went with a power commander 3 from Fuel Moto. As Berick noted Fuel Moto sends one with a custom tune for your mods based on their experience and they were cheaper than buying direct from DynoJet. Overall a great experience with Fuel Moto.

I think you made a good decision to stick with a smaller cam. I made the mistake of a too big a cam once and it made for a not so fun ride.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:51 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

yep I think you done good also..

I studied cams for weeks before I choose my Andrews 26H's ... they too are easy on the engine while I ended up with almost 20% increase TQ across the Sheet..
I put them in at 15k and now with 53K the engine still Runs GREAT...and I've not had a single engine issue.....

I went with the older SERT tuner and dyno when I did the Stg1 mods at the 1K service.. mostlyu because back in 07 there was not many to choose from and I wouldn't/will not use a piggyback tuner. Just me...

Old 11-15-2015, 03:19 AM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't think FuelMoto will have a tune for the S&S 509 cams. I would check with both Dynojet and S&S first if they have a base tune for your setup, then you can autotune over it.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:13 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I would bet that FuelMoto does have a tune for those cams. Give them an email or a call, their customer support is excellent and I bet they get back to you quickly.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:34 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
I don't think FuelMoto will have a tune for the S&S 509 cams. I would check with both Dynojet and S&S first if they have a base tune for your setup, then you can autotune over it.
Can't see why they wouldn't. Though you may be right... Any idea just how FM goes about developing their index tune lists? I figured it was an open source element built in part by customers and their own in house dyno effort.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:58 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Can't see why they wouldn't. Though you may be right... Any idea just how FM goes about developing their index tune lists? I figured it was an open source element built in part by customers and their own in house dyno effort.
I'm sure that's how they did it.

And let's be honest, there's not a huge difference in any of these cams, Woods vs SE vs. Andrews, they all follow a basic small, mid and large cam profile. A couple of degrees here or there isn't much and it isn't going to change the tune.

Also, keep in mind the computers on our bikes, with no feedback system, are a nice step above a carb and distributor weights, but it's not that far above that and so the speed density tunes we have are not very complicated.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:10 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,699 Likes on 21,262 Posts

F/M probably goes to the Power CommanderDyno jet site and downloads it the same as anyone can.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 AM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I got my PV from FuelMoto along with my exhaust and AC. Great tune. However, when I added S&S 583 cams they were not able to provide one. I got it from S&S and they worked with me with heat and decel pop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decided on S&S 509c instead of the S&S 583C