Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail on the lift question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58
I was told by 2 different Harley dealers that the frame protectors were not neseccary and we're just a waste of money. They said it wasn't going to hurt the shocks or anything else without them. They said their mechanics don't even use them.
I haven't had any problems jacking straight across the shocks either.

Since I also have a Dyna, I have the frame protectors/shims handy, but haven't found any value in using them on my softail.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Stop skimpin on what you need.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,019 Likes on 2,822 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I use 3/4" heater hose split down the middle.
I do believe I'll give that a try.

Thanks to all who responded.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:52 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,481 Likes on 4,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I had my '93 FLSTC up on my Craftsman lift jack this morning. I happened to notice that the side of the lift under the engine was resting nicely on the frame rails but the other side was in contact with the shocks and not the frame! Granted this is my first Softail but that doesn't seem right. Any input?
I've lifted my '03 Heritage on both a Craftsman and then a J&S jack for many years. I just lifted on the shocks. I've never had a problem.....

Then one day, I put it on my new lift table. I used a scissor jack to get the rear wheel off the ground. It too, was lifting across the shock bodies.

This time, however, the shocks/jack were right in my line of sight. I watched the shocks bend about 1/4" under the weight of the bike.

It just didn't look good, or the way it should be done........

I now have the frame protectors and use them whenever I lift the Heritage. I've yet to see any deflection of the shocks with the frame protectors. I gotta believe that it's better for the shocks this way.....

Old 11-30-2015, 12:50 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I use 3/4" heater hose split down the middle.
Ditto.... I saw that the first time I used my lift back in 07 and have posted the fix many times over the yrs in here.

get the thickest 3/4'' hose you can buy, cut 2 pieces about 5''-6'' long, cut lengthways and slide them over your frame..

I leave mine on the bike all the time..

Old 12-01-2015, 05:41 AM
lloyd123
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

How are you guys even getting the darn jack under your softail? Mine wont go under without lifting the bike first. I try rolling onto a piece of wood first,then the wood gets in the way of the jack. I must be missing something simple!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:56 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Obviously some bikes are lower than others.

One of the things I like about my Sears yellow jack is it gets low enough to fit under my Heritage with while it's own the jiffy stand.
With the Sears red jack I needed to put the front wheel on a 2X6 and stand the bike upright to get the jack under the bike.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:18 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by lloyd123
How are you guys even getting the darn jack under your softail? Mine wont go under without lifting the bike first. I try rolling onto a piece of wood first,then the wood gets in the way of the jack. I must be missing something simple!
The J&S jacks just clear the frame/shocks with just enough room for a 1/2" rubber shim when in the full down position. Both my softails have stock suspension, ie., not lowered. I can't make a statement about Craftsmans, HF, or any other jacks...

Old 12-01-2015, 10:36 AM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have had 3 Softails that I jacked up everytime I get home.I clean them and leave them jacked till the next ride. Never,ever a problem.Dont worry about it.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,578 Likes on 3,825 Posts

Those shocks are $500 +. I personally would not do that since they may push seal enough to cause them to leak. I just slide in 4 scrap pieces of 3/4 plywood 2" x 4" long. Or like they say, the proper spacer is better. If you use wood and it's not plywood, make sure to mark it so the grain is correct. If you look at the end sticking out, You WANT to see vertical lines. No vertical lines parallel with frame rails. I also have a note on my jack with a line in marker pen so bike is balanced. Even then, I slide scraps under tires to make sure it does not rock. I need to slide the right side in and the roll bike up and reach down to insert left side.
For most maintenance, on a Softail, you are better off not jacked up. I just run it on two 2 x 12 x 24" long pcs. and one under stand.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-01-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Softail on the lift question.