Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail on the lift question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts
Default Softail on the lift question.

I had my '93 FLSTC up on my Craftsman lift jack this morning. I happened to notice that the side of the lift under the engine was resting nicely on the frame rails but the other side was in contact with the shocks and not the frame! Granted this is my first Softail but that doesn't seem right. Any input?

Old 11-27-2015, 10:49 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

You need 94675-99 frame protectors

What I use is two strips of 1" horse stall matting (just happen to have some of that around the house)

Old 11-27-2015, 11:25 AM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
You need 94675-99 frame protectors

What I use is two strips of 1" horse stall matting (just happen to have some of that around the house)
Yep the shock cans on mine look about in line with the frame rails, but when the frame rests on the rubber pad of the jack it sinks in a bit and then puts pressure on the shocks. I noticed this when I went to adjust the preload on my shocks, was hard to turn the adjuster cause it was dragging on the jack pad!

I did the 2, 1/2" rubber shims under the frame rails in the rear and that works well. At least on my bike (Breakout) the jack I have (J&S) barely fits under the bike's left side while resting on the jiffy stand. Not sure I could get under it with the frame protectors on without holding the bike more upright before slipping the jack in place which is really no big deal anyhow I guess.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

I use 3/4" heater hose split down the middle.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:55 PM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I use 3/4" heater hose split down the middle.
Nice idea!

Old 11-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Square
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just move my HF jack forward just enough to clear the shocks. This has worked for me on two different Chinese jacks.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

I was told by 2 different Harley dealers that the frame protectors were not neseccary and we're just a waste of money. They said it wasn't going to hurt the shocks or anything else without them. They said their mechanics don't even use them.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:24 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT

I did the 2, 1/2" rubber shims under the frame rails in the rear and that works well. At least on my bike (Breakout) the jack I have (J&S) barely fits under the bike's left side while resting on the jiffy stand.
That. I use 1/2' rubber shims on both of my FLSTCs with the J&S jacks and it works like a charm to clear the shocks.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58
I was told by 2 different Harley dealers that the frame protectors were not neseccary and we're just a waste of money. They said it wasn't going to hurt the shocks or anything else without them. They said their mechanics don't even use them.
This.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:58 PM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Square
I just move my HF jack forward just enough to clear the shocks. This has worked for me on two different Chinese jacks.
Yep you can lift them up safely this way for sure. I found though when positioning the jack like this it prevents access to the shock's jamb nuts and preload adjustment rings. Not sure if doing it this way creates any other maintenance/service access issues though, I'm thinking for anything else it would be fine.

Originally Posted by Rick58
It don't mean its right. Think about it...do you think its a good idea to put the weight of the motorcycle on a horizontal shock body? Makes me sick what crap some "authorities" will spew. I've seen "mechanics" do some ridiculous stuff. Its usually out of; a lack of knowledge, could care less or laziness. I think the factory who designs/engineers these bikes would probably know best and if they are thinking don't put 700+Lbs on the shock assembly in the direction that its not intended and could bend the shock shafts it seems a logical and reasonable precaution to take. But do as you wish please.

Quick Reply: Softail on the lift question.