Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New-ish 2015 Deluxe CVO Do it or Don't

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

$7K extra just so you don't have to fool with the motor. I think the choice is obvious. Go with the regular Deluxe

Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

some say you'll never get out of it what you put into it, but there will be that one guy who loves what you did and figures in his mind it's something he won't have to do himself.. you already know yourself what you want to do. if you go cheaper you're just trying to make that bike into the CVO

Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Thought I'd chime back in on this once it set in my mind. I did the '14 Deluxe, cammed it immediately. The 110's are quick but it not a huge difference in my setup. I keep right up with them until 110-115 MPH although I haven't had the opportunity to run with the CVO.
Now with that said, had a couple of brews with a guy last weekend, he had the 120R installed before taking possession. That was an impressive machine, walked away with ease from me from the get go. Just a lil food for thought.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 AM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
I wouldn't be worried about modding the CVO. Resale already dropped about $4k at the end of he model year with only 3,000 miles. I'm not sure the residual resale for a CVO is that much better (as a percentage of MSRP.)

The real questions are related to the parts on the CVO, and the parts you plan to replace.
Will you keep the CVO wheels?
Will you keep all or most of the CVO chrome?
You said you'd do engine work on the stock Deluxe and leave the CVO motor alone. But would you buy pipes? Intake? Tuner?

These questions get to the real price difference.
For example, if you will replace the pipe, intake and add a tuner, you'd be spending $1000+. You could get a 103 to perform similar to the CVO motor, better depending on where you like your torque/power. A good set of aftermarket cam's, new clutch and some head work is much less than $7k.

If you will be replacing even half the chrome, and not using the CVO wheels, you'd just be storing money in your garage and hoping it has similar value later. In this case, the standard Deluxe is better.

If you plan to use all the CVO upgrades and it saves you $7k in replacement parts, the CVO is the answer.
I would change wheels and exhaust and bars on the CVO as well as the Stock deluxe. I would keep the stock parts in case of sale down the road. The reason I'm leaning towards the CVO is due to the fact that it is already chromed out and has the SE 110. I would put a tuner on it and thats it. I wouldn't have to buy any chrome either as I would have to do with the stock one.

I just built a 107 kit on my Road King 118HP/123TQ, with 574 Fueling Reaper cams, Head work, everything cost 6K. Not saying the SE 110 is going to have numbers even close to that. But I wont have to do much to the 110

Last edited by CountryD; 12-01-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:24 AM
CountryD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by electricstart
Both good deals. Really up to you the CVO does hold its value . If your going to mod the crap out of it the 7 plus grand you save on the stock deluxe will go a long way .Good Luck
There is about a 8K difference in Chrome and engine mods to get to where the CVO is. But, I guess its a matter of keeping the CVO stock, for resale value. But I could keep all the CVO parts and just put them to the side.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 AM
CountryD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jgos929
$7K extra just so you don't have to fool with the motor. I think the choice is obvious. Go with the regular Deluxe
Jgos, gotta look at the entire pic though. Not just the motor, have to look at spending the money for all the chrome, and the paint job, the leather hard bags, the HID head lights and passing lamps, see it all adds up and the end of the day. lol

Old 12-01-2015, 11:27 AM
CountryD
Road Warrior

Also, can anyone tell me if the CVO Deluxe front fender different than the Stock Deluxe front fender???

Old 12-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryD
Also, can anyone tell me if the CVO Deluxe front fender different than the Stock Deluxe front fender???
Looking at the Harley site (the 15's are still listed), it looks like the same fender, but trimmed out differently.

The standard deluxe has the chrome piece that wraps around the front and another chrome piece at the tail end of the fender and also the chrome "Deluxe" script trim piece. The CVO one just a chrome trim piece centered on the top of the fender.

Last edited by Mother; 12-01-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:52 AM
SGMongoose
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i would go with CVO if you like the paint. you can chrome and do performance mods to a regular deluxe, but it still won't have the paint. plus I've never seen a 21" on a CVO deluxe so it should be pretty unique

Old 12-01-2015, 11:55 AM
CountryD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mother
Looking at the Harley site (the 15's are still listed), it looks like the same fender, but trimmed out differently.

The standard deluxe has the chrome piece that wraps around the front and another chrome piece at the tail end of the fender and also the chrome "Deluxe" script trim piece. The CVO one just a chrome trim piece centered on the top of the fender.
Thats what it looks like to me also. Looks like the Deluxe fender is more FL style and the CVO is not as definitive. May be a deal breaker for me. Cause the CVO fender doesnt look the same.

So I called 2 dealerships and they told me its the same fender.

Last edited by CountryD; 12-01-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: New-ish 2015 Deluxe CVO Do it or Don't