Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New-ish 2015 Deluxe CVO Do it or Don't

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Lets just settle this and do both. Then everyone will be happy. Especially the salesman.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:03 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I have set aside enough to do just one. I'd like to have both.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:38 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts

Ha Ha Ha Ha not much need to change anything on a CVO. Yeah right. Dont ask how I know this. Who of us can ever let well enough alone. Good luck with the decision.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Who buys a bike to sell it? Why worry about resale? Not like you plan to chop the frame and really alter the foundation. Everything you're talking about is bolt on.

As for not modding a CVO - maybe I'm not the guy to listen to. I converted my CVO Street Glide into a 1-off CVO Road Glide.

If I were you, I'd get the one that seems a better value to you. CVO's aren't anything special anymore - they're built on the same assembly lines as the regular bikes. The only difference is fancy paint, a pile of chrome, and the 110" (which isn't the holy grail either).

$22K for a low mile 2015 CVO Deluxe isn't a bad price. Then again, $15k isn't a terrible price for a regular Deluxe either.

Personally, for me, the CVO Deluxe drifted away too far from the base model Deluxe. It doesn't have some of the nostalgia that appeals to me from the regular Deluxe. That's just me though.

Good luck!

Old 12-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Who buys a bike to sell it? Why worry about resale? Not like you plan to chop the frame and really alter the foundation. Everything you're talking about is bolt on.

As for not modding a CVO - maybe I'm not the guy to listen to. I converted my CVO Street Glide into a 1-off CVO Road Glide.

If I were you, I'd get the one that seems a better value to you. CVO's aren't anything special anymore - they're built on the same assembly lines as the regular bikes. The only difference is fancy paint, a pile of chrome, and the 110" (which isn't the holy grail either).

$22K for a low mile 2015 CVO Deluxe isn't a bad price. Then again, $15k isn't a terrible price for a regular Deluxe either.

Personally, for me, the CVO Deluxe drifted away too far from the base model Deluxe. It doesn't have some of the nostalgia that appeals to me from the regular Deluxe. That's just me though.

Good luck!
+1...I always like when he chimes in, much more eloquent than I am. Wish I lived closer I'd be over there borrowin tools > laffs

Old 12-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

there are some people who like to tinker with things. they buy a bike/car and spruce it up, ride it a bit to show it off then sell it and off to the next project. to each his own.. i want my bike to look good for me..everyone enjoys things their own way

Old 12-01-2015, 02:44 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior

Good luck!
Thanks for the response.

I think I am leaning towards the nostalgia aspect also. Don't know if I can deal with that paint job also. And I'm sure there will be things that I want to change on the CVO as to were I can just do it the way I want it the first time with the stock deluxe.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:19 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
+1...I always like when he chimes in, much more eloquent than I am. Wish I lived closer I'd be over there borrowin tools > laffs
Haha, next time you come out west, lemme know and we'll meet up for a beer!

Originally Posted by CountryD
Thanks for the response.

I think I am leaning towards the nostalgia aspect also. Don't know if I can deal with that paint job also. And I'm sure there will be things that I want to change on the CVO as to were I can just do it the way I want it the first time with the stock deluxe.
No problem - I just realized you're up the road from me too. I wasn't trying to be cynical or anything, just saying, the CVOs almost have to instantly persuade the buyer with the entire package. Many fall for the paint first. I know I did. I wouldn't change my purchase of my CVO SG if I had the chance, but I do know that I really haven't come across another CVO since that really makes me want to buy it.

I love to tinker, probably more so than a lot of owners. My CVO SG will always be mine, I can't see ever getting rid of that one.

But I also bought a Softail Springer Classic that I gave a thorough work-over to, and recently picked up a Road King too. Not sure that another CVO is in my future. You end up paying for a package that still needs to be built to your preferences.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:48 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior

Haha, next time you come out west, lemme know and we'll meet up for a beer!

No problem - I just realized you're up the road from me too. I wasn't trying to be cynical or anything, just saying, the CVOs almost have to instantly persuade the buyer with the entire package. Many fall for the paint first. I know I did. I wouldn't change my purchase of my CVO SG if I had the chance, but I do know that I really haven't come across another CVO since that really makes me want to buy it.

I love to tinker, probably more so than a lot of owners. My CVO SG will always be mine, I can't see ever getting rid of that one.

But I also bought a Softail Springer Classic that I gave a thorough work-over to, and recently picked up a Road King too. Not sure that another CVO is in my future. You end up paying for a package that still needs to be built to your preferences.
Nice, may have to get together for a ride this spring. Im up in Greeley.

That's the thing that is bothering me is that I will change the wheels, Bars, cables, seat, exhaust, and add tuner, Shotgun, and probably more stuff on the CVO. As were I can get a stock deluxe and put what I want on it, without the fancy paint job. Think the 2 things that attracted me to the CVO was the 110 and the paint job.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:05 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryD
Jgos, gotta look at the entire pic though. Not just the motor, have to look at spending the money for all the chrome, and the paint job, the leather hard bags, the HID head lights and passing lamps, see it all adds up and the end of the day. lol

I guess you missed my point. I can kinda see why the CVO is $7-8 grand more but you made it sound like all of the above besides the motor would be changed in your new project. Why start at $22k just to throw more money at it changing things. Most folks by CVO's and don't mod them a fraction of what you're thinking about doing. Seems like a waste of money to me. But its not my money.

Whichever way you lean I look forward to your project. I went crazy on my Deluxe similar to what you have done in the past and will do with this next one. I think they're the best looking bike HD makes.

Quick Reply: New-ish 2015 Deluxe CVO Do it or Don't