Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! Rocker c softail 2011 wont start after i changed the derby cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 03:05 AM
Richard Redpath
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Rocker c softail 2011 wont start after i changed the derby cover

I need help please people! I have just bought myself a rocker c softail and wanted to change the derby cover to a willie g one. I did it thinking it wouldnt be any drama at all and tried to do it on the side stand (rookie error). I arent the first and i wontbe the last im sure. Non the less i feel so stupid. Getting passed that and after loosing so much oil i went to harley and got their branded transmission oil. I drained the full primary oil inside the derby cover, replaced the little hex head bolt underneath and filled up the oil with a litre of new oil. I dont actually feel like that was enough so i even topped up a little extra of the stuff i originally drained (the guy at harley told me 1 bottle would be enough). After putting the derby cover back on the bike now wont start. It sounds dreadful inside the clutch box possible as if something could have fallen in/off the components on the inside?! The bike cuts out everytime i just and start it up. Im not crapping myself that if stuffed up the bike completely?! Any help would be much aappreiated. Thanks in advance! Rich

Old 12-01-2015, 03:37 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Take your cover back off, compare the INSIDE of the two covers and make sure they are the same, as well as check the inside of the new cover for any visible damage or scuff marks. If all that looks normal, take a picture of the clutch and post it. All this is assuming you have already accounted for all your tools used during the project....

Old 12-01-2015, 03:47 AM
Richard Redpath
2nd Gear

Thanks for you quick response! I certainly havent lost a tool inside it. In the centre there appears to be a threat with no nut on it though which is bizzare?! Tomorrow i will try and remove the full clutch case, is this an easy task? Im guessing i will have to drain it all down again and then just remove the allen key bolts. At the bear minimum i can at least take some photos and post it.

Ad no there is no scuff marks etc on the new case after u removed it to have another look. I thought maybe the screws could have been too long but they are same length as the originals...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-01-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:52 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

That screw in the center should have a jam nut on it, that is your clutch adjustment nut. If that nut came off, and dropped inside the primary when you popped the cover off, it would certainly cause an awful racket, and even if it didn't your clutch would be out of whack in just a minute or two... find that nut, probably replace it, adjust your clutch and you should be golden

Old 12-01-2015, 03:57 AM
Richard Redpath
2nd Gear

I have no idea how to adjust the clutch. Going to order a manual now to help me get through this pain! Thanks for your help. Tomorrow i go nut hunting

Old 12-01-2015, 04:06 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Once you have the manual adjusting the clutch is pretty easy, just follow the instructions, I can post it if you are in dire need.... One thing that'll make you life easier is an 11/16 (I think) pass through socket, so you can hold the adjustment screw with your Allen wrench/socket while you torque that outer jam nut that appears to have run away. It's way easier with that socket than a crowsfoot, and doggone torque adapters are too long for the angle you have to get to. You can pick that socket up from Lowe's (Kobalt) or Sears (Craftsman) or any of the Majors if you don't already have them.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

First, congrats on the new ride!!! They are awesome once you set them up the way you want...I have an 08 with 50k and rides like a dream!
Now on to your problem...not being a pain, but do you have a service manual? It helps a lot and can keep you put of trouble.
I also have the willie g derby cover and it is not the problem....
You talked about the primary and primary fluid. but then started talking about transmission fluid...they are both used on a rocker and are seperate locations. Tranny fluid is added on the muffler side of bike. It has nothing to do with the primary at all. The primary uses primary fluid or 20/50 motorcycle oil (which I use). If you put transmission fluid in the primary, it might have done something??????? Might screw up your clutch??????

You did use a new derby cover gasket, correct? usually you can use them multiple times. None of the old gasket went into the primary when you pulled the cover off??

ps say hello to my buddy John Thorn who runs a bar in your neck of the woods...lol

If you need to, pulling the outer primary cover off is pretty easy. some times you can re-use the gasket. Check out your compensator and your primary chain adjuster (adjsutment and plastic shoe).

I'm guessing that if you used tranny fluid, that is your problem.

Hope it works out and safe riding!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Richard Redpath
2nd Gear

I got the oil from harley after telling them the ussue so i dont think that is the problem. I have opened her up today and even tried starting it with it open. It doesnt look or sound good at all. I have photos and a video that i can post now.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Richard Redpath
2nd Gear

This bit i think is the problem. I come out and gets stuck in the other crank....

Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 AM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The jam nut for the clutch adjustmet is still on there, some of the teeth on that starter on the other hand...from pix, dont look very good

Quick Reply: Help!!! Rocker c softail 2011 wont start after i changed the derby cover