Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pogo style seat fit issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:43 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by gchristopher9
I honestly felt like I was sitting on top of the tank with my stock deluxe seat. This looks like it would be 100 times worse! I agree it looks really cool but I'm not sure I could get over the seating position.
it's a very old school seating position

Old 01-19-2016, 02:03 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

@ paullavery, looks to me like your plan for the frame cove was a success.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:11 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
@ paullavery, looks to me like your plan for the frame cove was a success.
I think so, took a while to get all the glue residue off though, i'm going to prep the plastic & paint it to match the frame colour, by retaining the bracket that fixes it to the rear fender with a thumb screw its very easy to remove for access to battery etc.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:17 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

That idea did turn out very nicely indeed. Well done.

Is your pogo going to be installed where the fake post is installed by the moco? On my frame that post ends at the bottom of the top frame bar. There might be room between the oil tank and the frame for a post...

Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

No horse in this event but love the look of spring saddles. But I want to answer Joe's question regarding the fake post... I took mine off when I relocated my ignition coil and didnt notice room for a real post to exit past the frame. Not that it cant be done. But it aint gonna lend it self like a hooker

Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
That idea did turn out very nicely indeed. Well done.

Is your pogo going to be installed where the fake post is installed by the moco? On my frame that post ends at the bottom of the top frame bar. There might be room between the oil tank and the frame for a post...
Originally Posted by splattttttt
No horse in this event but love the look of spring saddles. But I want to answer Joe's question regarding the fake post... I took mine off when I relocated my ignition coil and didnt notice room for a real post to exit past the frame. Not that it cant be done. But it aint gonna lend it self like a hooker

This setup doesn't use the fake post. It attached to the frame in two places:
  1. Just below the front hinge of the seat mechanism, it attached with one 5/16-18 bolt into the rectangular backbone where it sticks out aft of the fuel tank. (It picks up the same fastener that secures the fuel tank.)
  2. Just aft of that, it picks up two of the four 1/4-20 holes in the frame block where the ground-strap is attached.
Everything cantilevers aft from those two points.

It looks like a post, but it's actually just a 4-1/2" shock.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:09 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

^^^ SLV that is a great explanation and picture. Makes perfect sense, thanks for posting.

To echo someone else's comment, that setup really pushed the seat forward and up and looks much more old school. I wonder about the comfort level for a shorter rider.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:26 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
^^^ SLV that is a great explanation and picture. Makes perfect sense, thanks for posting.

To echo someone else's comment, that setup really pushed the seat forward and up and looks much more old school. I wonder about the comfort level for a shorter rider.

No problem.

Here is a stock photo from V-Twin Manufacturing. I added the red lines and circles.

Two things about the comfort.
The seat itself, just talking butt comfort, is extremely comfortable. It's a nice cradle with enough cushion to reduce hard spots, but not soft enough to get that hot-cheek feeling that some cheaper cushy seats provide.

The riding position is dependent on the rider. I like to sit up straight, and I like to sit high on the bike. My legs are not bent much either. Surprisingly, The position is not as far forward as the seat makes it look. It's a big seat and the cradle is only slightly forward from the stock seat, but obviously higher. The position is old school, but gives a much better amount of control.

I'm 6'2". The stock Slim has a very low seat height, and the floorboards would push my knees up to just under my hands. If I were to keep the stock seating position, I would change to ape hangers.

Attached Thumbnails Pogo style seat fit issues-31-0313-attachment.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 12:48 PM
paullavery
Road Master

As others have said, the pogo style setup does not actually place you any further forward than the stock seat, height obviously is more than the stock, I agree with SLV about the position of your knees on the stock seat, if you are tall then the tendency with the slim is that you feel your knees are up round your armpits.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:55 PM
paullavery
Road Master

I managed to get all the glue residue off the seat pan today & then started to prep it for plastic primer. I've sprayed loads of bike & car parts over the years with good success using rattle cans, but for some reason I could not get a decent enough finish on the seat pan, so think i'm going to get an off cut of automotive vinyl & cover it with that.

Quick Reply: Pogo style seat fit issues