Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Garage door transmitter location

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:31 PM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 107 Posts
Default HD Garage door transmitter location

Just wondering if anyone has put their transmitter from the kit under the sit. I have the deep ecu bucket from my old V&H installed and have plenty of room there? Just curious if they anyone has done it and if you had any issues? Going to start this next week and would like to know..Thanks..

Old 01-23-2016, 12:41 AM
seanbo
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took apart my transmitter and put it under the dash console of my Night Train. Soldered a momentary switch (like the one that function cycles the gauges) to the leads and it jsut looks like a stock button.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:12 PM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are referring to the HD Garage Door Opener that uses your high beams to open/close your door...... I mounted mine between that plastic inner fender and the frame of the bike. I'm sure it gets plenty hot there with the oil tank so close but so far I have not had any issues with it.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:22 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Off topic, but about HD Garage Door opener. Is it worth it? Does it do anything special?

On my Bob I did what seanbo did, but with a miniature garage door opener. Button was right by the speedo and it looked like it belonged there.

After Bob was written off (RIP Bob) I was able to remove the opener from it and added it to the Lo. This time, I did not mount it on the dash, I placed the remote under the seat and Velcro'ed the switch on the frame in front of the strut under the edge of the seat. Roll up to garage door, right foot on brake, left hand on clutch, reach down with right hand and push the button. Cost me $30.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 AM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gommee
Off topic, but about HD Garage Door opener. Is it worth it? Does it do anything special?

On my Bob I did what seanbo did, but with a miniature garage door opener. Button was right by the speedo and it looked like it belonged there.

After Bob was written off (RIP Bob) I was able to remove the opener from it and added it to the Lo. This time, I did not mount it on the dash, I placed the remote under the seat and Velcro'ed the switch on the frame in front of the strut under the edge of the seat. Roll up to garage door, right foot on brake, left hand on clutch, reach down with right hand and push the button. Cost me $30.
Different strokes for different folks... HD unit does the same thing your method does. It opens a garage door. Some people don't mind rigging a remote and others (like myself) just get what we find in the catalog that comes with instructions etc. In all honesty, I'd probably have rigged my own but I didn't read the articles or join the forum until after I had purchased it and installed it. It works perfectly, just costs a bit more.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

I was not knocking it, just curious if it did anything different. I did mine back in 08 on the Bob. I did like it on the console, but did not want to drill hole in console of Lo.
I kinda like it down by the seat, out of sight.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 AM
TripleB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the HD version but it required lifting the tank on my Slim but I could not because screw that hold the console on top of the tank was stripped by the dealer when the bike was repaired. So I could lift the tank but harness did not have enough slack to move it higher.

Most probably figure lifting the tank not really that big a deal but lifting the tank can go bad quick.

I bought a MO-Door battery operated remote. Its made for bikes. It works fine, happy with it.

http://www.mo-door.com/

Old 01-28-2016, 10:46 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashnic
Just wondering if anyone has put their transmitter from the kit under the sit. I have the deep ecu bucket from my old V&H installed and have plenty of room there? Just curious if they anyone has done it and if you had any issues? Going to start this next week and would like to know..Thanks..
I installed the HD opener on my BO under the seat and it works fine. I can hit the hi/lo switch one house away from my driveway and by the time I get to my garage the door is open enough to ride right inside. I did have a problem with the transmitter because I have aluminum siding and a steel garage door - had to mount the transmitter/receiver in the attic of the garage. Also, I had to redo the handshaking once after a power failure.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

I'm doing the ghetto one right now. Using one of my existing remotes and soldering an OEM trip-odo reset switch to it and them mounting in the other side of my console. $13.00 worth of parts. ...and maybe a coupla beers.

Great thread linked below Only difference for me is mounting on the speedo console since I do not have a fairing.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...2-sg-flhx.html

Old 02-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Here are some pictures of where I decided to hide the switch for my "home made" opener. Easy to access, hidden from sight.